iPhone 4S now on Virgin Mobile!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacUserMichael, Jul 22, 2012.

1. MacUserMichael macrumors newbie

MacUserMichael

I was kinda hoping for T-Mobile. But in better news NO CONTRACTS!

2. AFDoc macrumors 68030

3. westcoastcyc macrumors regular

Yeah, its been on Virgin Mobile since last month.

4. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

I think they just came out with one for Verizon too!!
    :D /jokes

5. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

The best thing about Virgin Mobile is the price.

Only $30/mo! :eek: (most all postpaid of the same class is $70 or more)

6. nw9 macrumors regular

I checked out their website after reading this and they do have great prices.

$35 for 300 minutes, unlimited texting, and unlimited data
    $45 for 1200 minutes, unlimited texting and data
    $55 for unlimited everything

Their highest priced plan is lower than some other carrier's lowest priced plans! After reading some other countries' prices it does seem that in here in the States we are being overcharged in prices.

With AT&T and Verizon's new price plans we get charged more for data, but end up getting less. $45-50 for 1GB but with the old AT&T plan I can get 3GB for $30! At least with AT&T we can keep the old plans if we want. I'm still stuck in my contract, but it's good to have other options to choose from when my contract is up.

7. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Virgin mobile also takes $5 for autopay so their cheapest plan is $30

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

With no roaming agreements! Wouldn't be a problem if Sprint actually had a network to use.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Sorry for this question, so they use Sprint?

Also, the plans are nice, but $650 for the phone is hard to swallow.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Virgin and Boost = Sprint Network.

11. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Thanks!

12. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Pretty sweet deal. You'd recoup the unsubsidized price of the phone in less than a year with the cheaper data plan on Virgin.

13. westcoastcyc macrumors regular

Virgin Mobile has horrible data speeds. You get what you pay for...

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

for $30 a month who cares? i'm on wifi most of the time and apps like navigon and spotify kill the need for good network coverage

15. Wilson1313 macrumors member

I have Virgin with the 4S, and I get over 1 mbps... unless your downloading an app or doing a lot of streaming 1+ mbps is totally fine.

16. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

by all means we should all hope that virgin mobile's experiment to offer iphone as a prepaid option works out successfully. this is only good for competition and hopefully put some pressure on the big guys to offer more competitive pre paid options

17. ET iPhone Home, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm not up with other carriers. I actually like their choice in plans and don't mind paying full price for the iPhone. But why do they only offer the 16GB iPhone? I may go this route with the next iPhone since I really don't use data except for email. Thanks for posting.

When did they start offering the iPhone?

I wonder what it would cost for ETF if I have 12 months left on my Sprint contract? Would it be half of $350 - $175 ETF? That way, in Oct. I can switch to Virgin Mobile. I can always buy an unlocked iPhone at Apple and get the plan through Virgin Mobile.

18. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's a little strange that they did such a massive u turn after refusing to support the iPhone for so long....As far as I know, it is still not available on VM in the UK...O2 have it at insane prices...Like £100 up front for a 16GB model:eek: I buy my own, and I'm with O2, the service is good, but CS is garbage.

Have a buddy with VM using an old Nokia Express Music, but the service and coverage is poor. They are good with BB though...Been with them since they FIOS'd the neighbourhood. Great speeds and very reliable.

19. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Why would the 'big guys' offer better prepaid when MVNO's already buy their excess network at wholesale prices to resell? They'd be shooting themselves in the foot by competing with their biggest customers.

20. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

Yes, of course MVNOs as well. Even lower price options from MVNOs. More options like the tmobile $30 plan would be great. I would have jumped on that plan already if the iPhone was compatible with their 3G network. I would like to see more plans where there is more data offered, but not bundled with unlimited talk and text.

21. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Cell phone contracts are usually 2 years (24 months), right?

A subsidized iphone 4s is $200. The difference is $450, or ~$20/month, between unlocked and subsidized.

So to make it a fair comparison to contract plans, add ~$20 to the monthly rate of the prepaid plans.

So it's not $30/month, it's more like $50/month for an iphone on Virgin. Still a good deal though.