iPhone 4S now using 32nm A5 chip?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ricw, Apr 25, 2013.

1. ricw macrumors newbie

I recently got a replacement iPhone 4S, after my old one got stolen. I previously had to recharge my phone every night to make it through the day, but with the replacement phone this seems to have changed to every second day (maybe even every third, but I haven't tested that much yet). I've successfully tried this twice now, which I never ever did with my previous two iPhone 4S models I had. At the end of one normal day I had 80% of the battery charge remaining, while after a day of heavy usage it still stood at around 70%, far more than the typical 50% that i had on my old iphone 4S.

Anyone have any leads as to whether Apple is now using the 32nm A5 chip for the iPhone (as with the apple TV and ipad 2)?! Or has Apple even switched to an upgraded GSM chip?! Unfortunately I'm not curious enough to take my iPhone apart and dismantle the chip to see for myself..

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Getting too complicated. More probably to do with OS version and a fresher (less charge cycle) battery.

3. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Without a FCC filing it is impossible.

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

i think it might be because the battery is brand new

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So if you get better battery life it means it has an A5 chip?

6. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

mmm likely is due to the brand new battery....

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I think he's been subscribing to Microprocessors Monthly. :D

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The 32nm A5 is a single-core chip. Currently the only item this has popped up in is the AppleTV.

9. ricw thread starter macrumors newbie

If I remember correctly, the A5 in the Apple TV is a dual core with one core disabled..

10. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I remember this as well, one core disabled. For the OP, it most likely is the new battery in the replacement phone. I'm going to have to get a replacement as my AppleCare nears its end in November date as well. It's not completely horrible just yet, but I know it's coming. I also, like many, have to charge every day and most of the time twice daily - such a pain, even with two wall chargers, a travel charger, and a car charger. SO MANY CHARGERS...

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The old one was. The new A5 (the 32nm one) is a regular single core.

12. nebrot macrumors regular

nebrot

A big change came with iOS 6.1.3, significant better battery life, so I would back you up on this.

13. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Apple would never do that. they wouldnt release a 45nm iphone 4s, then a year and a few months later release a 32nm version to improve battery life and other things like that... 4S owners would be outraged and they would get lawsuits

Has to do with a brand new battery/phone, and a clean install of iOS

14. ricw thread starter macrumors newbie

They did just that with the iPad 2. Plus its cost savings for Apple as the 32nm chips are cheaper to produce.
    Ps: my old iPhone was 3 months old (button damage), so I don't think the battery had much of of an impact over the course of that time.

15. cynics macrumors G4

Lawsuits for what?

That is how a company like Apple test a new processor out.

They did it with the AppleTV and iPad. There are 32nm model iPad 2's being put out now that get better battery life then the original.

That's the point of this thread.

-------------

OP. download linpack and compare. I have an iPhone 4S from jan 2012. It's a iphone4,1-N94AP/ 2 cores.