iPhone 4s on Craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by poolshark333, Jul 9, 2012.

1. poolshark333 macrumors newbie

I made a mistake :-(

I bought an 4s on Craigslist. I told him that I didn't want the white iPhone that he was offering but really wanted "black". He went back to Verizon and swapped phone colors. I met "Fred" and paid him cash for his brand new 4s. He left his receipt in the bag (He paid $199. Obviously he signed up for a new 2 year contract. When I went to activate, I got a CS rep who asked if I bought it on Ebay/Craigslist (because he said that the phone is showing up lost/stolen). I know his cell phone number. "Fred" went back into Verizon last Friday night to fix the issue. He is now refusing to return my calls :-(
    I could track him down; I do know his name and obviously his current Verizon cell phone number. What are my options (I know now that I did a bone head mistake)? Could I call Verizon since I know his name/phone number to activate it anyways (could I ask them to reach out to "Fred")? Thoughts
    The transaction took place 6 days ago...
    Thx

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

If you had read the advice on here previously, you would have noticed that practically any mention of Craigslist talks about meeting in a wireless store and paying only after the device is activated.

Unfortunately, your options are extremely limited at this time... with small claims court being the most likely solution.

Best of luck and please keep us informed.

3. topherg macrumors regular

File a police report? Then small claims court.... ?

4. Vege-Taco macrumors member

Vege-Taco

I would call the police and file a report, and then take it up with Verizon. Try to get a hold of someone in their fraud department. Insurance fraud is a crime.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

There was no insurance fraud in this scenario though.
    The seller simply used an upgrade or signed a new 2-year contract and sold the phone.

6. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Then reported it lost or stolen

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

True, but that's also assuming that Verizon has their records straight and that is actually the case. I just figured that that was their generic term and that the seller simply wasn't in good standing.

8. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Track him down and threaten to take him to court. if it comes down to court he will have to pay all your court fees.

9. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Call the guy and explain that you are going to the police if he doesn't resolve this. If he doesn't respond to that, file a police report.

10. Demonface macrumors 6502a

Cant you buy a Gevey sim , unlock it and call it a day? and you would be able to use it on AT&T Prepaid or Red Pocket or Straighttalk

11. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

It is possible that this guy wants to use it with, I don't know, his own Verizon number?

12. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I feel bad for you....He simply did a credit card scam or he did a HUP scam....the iPhone he sold didn't belong to his account and he most likely did not pay money out of his pocket, if he did it was done on a Stolen Credit Card or he simply billed it to the account holders account. I have heard many stories of people pulling scams where they preform HUP's on other people's accounts without their authorization because they get hold of their ID's and/or enough personal information to be "Authorized" person on the individuals account.

When that happens most carriers Ban/Block the IMEI/ESN of the phone involved and obviously don't make the actual owner pay...but who suffers is the buyer while the scammer walks away happily with money.

I don't ever recommend buying a Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4/4S off of Craigslist EVER! people will do this, You really have to do your homework as in Check IMEI/ESN Numbers, Verify with carrier and Apple that it is actually belonging to that particular carrier if the phone is coming un-activated and definitely check with carrier that the iPhone 4/4S isn't blocked/banned/stolen/lost etc.

I would recommend you Jailbreak and Unlock the iPhone 4S via Gevey Ultra S and sell it on eBay/Craigslist....try to re-coup your cost as much as possible.

13. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

It's a crime to possess known stolen goods.

And selling it to someone else would make you the thief at that point, so don't resell it.

14. Demonface macrumors 6502a

You could sell it but state what has happened so the buyer knows what to expect right off the bat so he /she cant come to you to complain and say that he wasnt warned.

15. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Go to the police, file a case with them, then go to verizon or whatever and argue it with the police case on hand. Happened to a friend in the end the guys used an stolen Visa card and got detained. After 2 months ATT (in this case Verizon) work it out with him with a new phone and a2 year contract on his name..