iPhone 4S on holiday in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Planky, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Planky macrumors regular

I hope to come to Canada on holiday next year and would like to use my iPhone for internet, maps etc. :)

Could any of our Canadian friends advise me if Rogers or Telus(?) etc do a nice pay as you go SIM that has reasonable data, minutes, and texts. I am going to ask my current provider here in the UK but I expect their roaming charges to be exorbitant! :eek:

Thanks. :)

2. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

You could try Virgin Mobile. I believe you could buy a Pay as you Go SIM.

3. ehPhone macrumors newbie

ehPhone

Not sure how it works in the UK, but your iPhone will have to be unlocked to work on Rogers, Bell or Telus etc... If so, you can get a 30 day voice/data plan for about $30-$45 bucks that will be a lot less than roaming and a lot more data and you can cancel at the end of the month or whenever.

If your phone is locked, you won't be able to use a SIM from any Canadian carrier and you'd have to get a roaming plan.

Which carrier you go with might depend on where in Canada you are visiting. It's a pretty big country. :) ;) Most carriers are Canada wide, but some are a little bit stronger in some areas, and there are some regional carriers.

4. Planky thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

Thanks for the link. The iPhone is unlocked so a 30 day voice plan would be the ideal solution.

I have been to Canada before but that was many years ago and know how vast and wonderful a country it is. This time I plan to go to Calgary, the Rockies, Vancouver and on to Vancouver Island. Three weeks in an RV touring Canada - perfect!:D

5. ehPhone macrumors newbie

ehPhone

Sounds like an awesome trip! I've never been to the west of Canada, just mostly the centre, most important part of Canada, Toronto. :) :D

With an unlocked 4GS, you should be golden to go with any provider you like. Here is Bell's promo plans out for Alberta area. Here's Roger's Plans.

Have a good trip!