iPhone 4S on holiday in Canada

Planky

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2009
The Sunny Isle of Wight
I hope to come to Canada on holiday next year and would like to use my iPhone for internet, maps etc. :)

Could any of our Canadian friends advise me if Rogers or Telus(?) etc do a nice pay as you go SIM that has reasonable data, minutes, and texts. I am going to ask my current provider here in the UK but I expect their roaming charges to be exorbitant! :eek:

Thanks. :)

ehPhone

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
Kitchener, Ontario
I hope to come to Canada on holiday next year and would like to use my iPhone for internet, maps etc. :)

Could any of our Canadian friends advise me if Rogers or Telus(?) etc do a nice pay as you go SIM that has reasonable data, minutes, and texts. I am going to ask my current provider here in the UK but I expect their roaming charges to be exorbitant! :eek:

Thanks. :)
Not sure how it works in the UK, but your iPhone will have to be unlocked to work on Rogers, Bell or Telus etc... If so, you can get a 30 day voice/data plan for about $30-$45 bucks that will be a lot less than roaming and a lot more data and you can cancel at the end of the month or whenever.

If your phone is locked, you won't be able to use a SIM from any Canadian carrier and you'd have to get a roaming plan.

Which carrier you go with might depend on where in Canada you are visiting. It's a pretty big country. :) ;) Most carriers are Canada wide, but some are a little bit stronger in some areas, and there are some regional carriers.

Planky

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2009
The Sunny Isle of Wight
Not sure how it works in the UK, but your iPhone will have to be unlocked to work on Rogers, Bell or Telus etc... If so, you can get a 30 day voice/data plan for about 35-40 bucks that will be a lot less than roaming and a lot more data and you can cancel at the end of the month or whenever.

If your phone is locked, you won't be able to use a SIM from any Canadian carrier and you'd have to get a roaming plan.

Which carrier you go with might depend on where in Canada you are visiting. It's a pretty big country. :) ;) Most carriers are Canada wide, but some are a little bit stronger in some areas, and there are some regional carriers.
Hi,

Thanks for the link. The iPhone is unlocked so a 30 day voice plan would be the ideal solution.

I have been to Canada before but that was many years ago and know how vast and wonderful a country it is. This time I plan to go to Calgary, the Rockies, Vancouver and on to Vancouver Island. Three weeks in an RV touring Canada - perfect!:D

ehPhone

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
Kitchener, Ontario
Hi,

Thanks for the link. The iPhone is unlocked so a 30 day voice plan would be the ideal solution.

I have been to Canada before but that was many years ago and know how vast and wonderful a country it is. This time I plan to go to Calgary, the Rockies, Vancouver and on to Vancouver Island. Three weeks in an RV touring Canada - perfect!:D
Sounds like an awesome trip! I've never been to the west of Canada, just mostly the centre, most important part of Canada, Toronto. :) :D

With an unlocked 4GS, you should be golden to go with any provider you like. Here is Bell's promo plans out for Alberta area. Here's Roger's Plans.

Have a good trip!