iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1 and Nokia Lumina with Windows Mobile 7.x

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I never cared for the Windows mobile ever since I ditched my Motorola Q9M in favor of the iPhone 3GS, however after going into the AT&T store I did notice something.

The new windows phone is smooth, and the phone is quite nice, also I noticed after looking at the iPhone 4S next to all their other phones, the screen seems so tiny at 3.5" compared to the Nokia Lumina 900, HTC Titan II, and especially the new Samsung Note.

I was always happy with the iPhone and the screen size but now I am re-thinking about whether the iPhone should get a bigger screen, at least to 4.0" but 4.3" would be nice.

The one area I noticed on all the phones that was nicer is the Browser and using a website, there is just so much more room on the other phones, hopefully Apple will change their mind for the 5? we will see though.

2. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I think everyone agrees that if they keep the 3.5" they might be shooting themselves in the foot.

Not saying that people still won't buy the next iPhone, but i feel like there will be a drop and many people switching to an android or Windows phone. I would definitely be considering it.

3. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

3.7 or 4.0 would be nice with the very same form factor, no bigger for me...;)

I also like, to some degree, the windows phone but the 900 is a bit too large in the form factor. :(

4. PacificBeach macrumors regular

Lumia 900 is really nice !

5. Maziar macrumors 6502

I went from iP4 to HTC Titan and now I've gone back to iOS.
    Yes WP7.5 is very smooth.The live tiles and deep Facebook/twitter integration are awesome but it needs some huge changes too.First of all,the notification system simply sucks,also the apps aren't good either.WP7.5 is the last OS that the developers are interested in.I installed many apps that I had on iOS,such as angry birds,fruit ninja,twitter,facebook etc. and TBH none of them had the same polish as the iOS ones have.Also,some MS workers said that WP8 won't run on current WP 7.5 devices which is bad.
    Last but not the least,I found 4.7" a little too big to operate with one hand.(especially while texting) so I returned the phone and went with iP4S.

6. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

oh no, not another '3.5inches is too small' thread. :rolleyes:

7. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I'm getting one in 2 weeks when it launches in the UK :)

Will keep the 4S in a drawer though in case I change my mind.

8. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Love my 900. LTE is great, can download an entire album of songs in 30 seconds. The screen is just the right size and the colors are awesome. I absolutely believe the new iPhone will be a huge hit with a bigger screen, more so than it already is. Everybody is so scared of the idea of leaving the small form factor of the iPhone as we know it, but it's okay, 4.3" is not as intimating as one might think. Plus we know it too will have LTE and those on Sprint and Verizon will finally get to leave those pitiful >500k speeds behind. Even AT&T users will see a nice boost.

But this about Windows 7, which has started to grow on me and as a long time iOS user (and former Android) I can see this platform really taking off if it can get some level of developer support. I know a lot of people look down on WP7 and hopefully Apollo will change that. This is thing is a baby at the moment. With the success of the Lumia phones and the Titan series, I think this is only the beginning.

9. aneftp macrumors 601

Ended up returning the Lumia 900 yesterday.

Loved the Lumia. Great call quality. LTE is super fast. Felt faster than even my Verizon LTE. Battery life is excellent for LTE phone. Made it a full day easily on LTE (no wifi) as a test. No lag at all. Browser was ok. Felt one generation behind. Screen is beautiful. Not as sharp but still beautiful despite the lower resolution. Great overall build quality.

So why did I return it?
    1. Camera is subpar. Nokia had to take shortcuts to save money. Sad since Nokia is Nokia for great camera Phones. I got a 22 month old so pics are important. I got canon t2i dslr but obviously do not carry that with me all the time.

2. Of you think multi tasking is poor on iOS. Windows phone is even worse. Most annoying is using Nokia Drive gps. If I get a call. When I got back to Nokia Drive I have to start the gps app all again and hit the history button to go back to my route. At least with ios gps is running all the time until you manually shut it down even when doing other things like taking a call.

10. scott craft macrumors 6502a

As far as going back to the gps app from a call, did you hold the back button and bring up the tabs and go back that way? It does seem hit and miss sometimes with the multitasking. Overall I like the way it works, it does really well if your texting and switching apps.