iPhone 4s on Sprint Text Delays.

KeiM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So I have noticed that whenever I send a text message while on the phone, it's delayed by a few hours. One person just received a text from me that I sent yesterday afternoon!

Is this a common problem and how to I fix it?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yes it's common, and the only way to resolve it is to take your Sprint iPhone 4S back to the Apple store and exchange it for an AT&T or Verizon model.

Texting delays on Sprint are par for the course, regardless of what phone you're using:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/77347?start=0&tstart=0

They use a messaging system that's - to use a polite term - "highly customized." The end result is that it's difficult to troubleshoot when there are issues, and the engineering staff don't particularly enjoy doing it so it's often put off until it can't be avoided. And so there are frequent, lengthy periods where systemically, text messages are queued in their network for hours, sometimes even days before they are delivered. And that's on-network. Woe be to you if you try to text someone who's not on Sprint, or they try to send you something.

The only other option is to get all your friends to use iOS devices, and send them iMessages, which bypass Sprint's text messaging system as long as the recipient is connected to a data network.

Last edited:

violence

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Yes it's common, and the only way to resolve it is to take your Sprint iPhone 4S back to the Apple store and exchange it for an AT&T or Verizon model.

Texting delays on Sprint are par for the course, regardless of what phone you're using:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/77347?start=0&tstart=0

They use a messaging system that's - to use a polite term - "highly customized." The end result is that it's difficult to troubleshoot when there are issues, and the engineering staff don't particularly enjoy doing it so it's often put off until it can't be avoided. And so there are frequent, lengthy periods where systemically, text messages are queued in their network for hours, sometimes even days before they are delivered. And that's on-network. Woe be to you if you try to text someone who's not on Sprint, or they try to send you something.

The only other option is to get all your friends to use iOS devices, and send them iMessages, which bypass Sprint's text messaging system as long as the recipient is connected to a data network.
Came here to post something similar. I've been with Sprint for years and have experienced these problems. To be fair though, it happens very very rarely (as far as I know).

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Yes it happens very rarely and not a big deal. I would not be as drastic as "returning 4s back to sprint and go to vzw or att" but its up to u. I've had no issues with my 4s since getting it a week ago. Works great and speeds are ok, slower than they should be but everything is working like it should

KeiM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
This is horrible. I always happens to be delayed when I'm on the phone while sending a text message.

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Probably isolated incident. My cousin and friend who just switched to iPhone 4S from androids havent had any issues with text being delayed.

Mpaige2

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010
No problems here In NY with texting. Been with sprint 11 yrs and only seen that problem maybe 2 or 3 times :D

KeiM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I'm in NYC also, hopefully this is just a one time issue. It also gets delayed while sending a message while on the phone on my 4S.

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
No problems here and i been with sprint for over 2 years I used to before back in 2006 but no anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.