Iphone 4s or wait.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoshConcepcion, Jan 12, 2012.

1. JoshConcepcion macrumors newbie

Hey guys! :)

I'm having a hard time deciding wether I want the iPhone 4s or should I wait till the iPhone 5 comes out? Cause if I do get the 4s i'd wait to wait for the next upgrade :(

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Depends on what phone you have right now.

If you are satisfied with it and can go on with it for 9 more months then don't get the 4S. If it lags like crazy etc and it's annoying you then upgrade

Simple.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't really see any point in waiting over 6 months for it. At the end of the day, it's just a phone ... right? You'll be happy with it now.

There's always going to be a better model 'round the corner.

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I have an iPhone 4. I bought an iPhone 4S. Siri didn't understand me most of the time. I sent the 4S back.

For me, the 4S isn't enough of an improvement over the 4.

But, if I was on any other iPhone (or any other phone at all) I'd buy the 4S without question.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

What phone are you on at the moment?

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

And so the serious speculation about the next iPhone starts....

@OP: I bought the 3GS when it came out, and the 4S recently. There is something to be said for getting the second model of an iPhone, because Apple typically eliminates most bugs or shortcomings compared to the original model. Thus, I will be happy to get the iPhone 5S (or whatever it is called) two models from now. It's true that you could get a 4S now only to find that the iPhone 5 comes out in a few months, but then it's better to be on the cutting edge than the bleeding edge.

7. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I give my iphones over to my fiance every year. So when i upgrade to the newest and hottest, she gets my previous model since she's not a techy dork.

Within my first couple weeks i regretted upgrading to the 4S. The only reason i didnt return the damn thing is because of my fiance. The upgrade for HER was huge. 3GS to 4. she was having so much fun with it. so i just kept it.

I wouldnt bother upgrading, unless you have to right now.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

How do we know that waiting for the iPhone 5 will be worth it?:confused:

9. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

How many years has she been your fiancé anyway ? :D

10. cynics macrumors G3

If you already have an iPhone I'd just wait to see what the 5 has to offer. If you are looking to get a phone then just go for the 4s.

The 4s has Siri which is no big deal. However it has a nice little bump in the hardware department which will somewhat future proof the phone. Eventually there will be an update that only the 4s and newer will get.

Although I can't notice it much my friends with the 4 say they can notice a speed difference using my phone over theirs. Don't know how important that is too you.

Processors, ram, amount of cores are neat but don't really interest me if I can notice a difference. However if the 5 had a larger screen I might be interested in that.

11. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I currently have an iPhone 4 and my upgrade isn't until about this time next year so I'll be right in line for the next iPhone. Plus that gives me time to wait out the initial rush so that when I'm eligible I won't have to look multiple places to find one. :apple:

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I do the same thing. My wife gets my old stuff every year lol. She's happy with it. She gets my old computers too.

13. mstrze macrumors 68000

Actually, my wife gets the newer phone at our current upgrade cycle. She had the 4 while I was on the 3G, I am now on a 4s while she will be able to upgrade to the next iPhone when it comes out.

14. phon macrumors regular

Don't you feel guilty when handed her the ones were used by you each time? :p

15. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

I say wait. If your phone is working right now and there is no immediate need... wait.

I am really hoping the new iPhone (I will call it the iPhone 5) will have a larger screen, LTE, an updated processor, a better camera, and updated maps and navigation. However, the real reason I didn't go from my 4 to a 4S is LTE. That is the big deal for me. :)

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

This is always a subjective matter. That means that the OP needs to provide details on his/her needs/wants etc for meaningful responses. Otherwise, read the countless other identical threads for ideas on what you should be considering. There's no one-size-fits-all answer to questions like this.

17. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Exactly. Either wait 7-10 mos. or wait 2 years. If you need an iPhone, then 4S, but if you have a phone to hold you over 'till Fall, I'd wait. It's going to be exciting, because it's expected to look different from the 4S. That alone is worth the wait. I have the 4S now, but will be upgrading my other non-smartphone to the 5.

18. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Couldn't agree more with this. There was no "death grip" issue with the 4S ;)

@OP:

Remember, that LTE is just starting to rollout. Even if the i5 has LTE support, chances are that battery life will suffer because LTE is essentially MIMO. Sure, you get better speed, but at the end of the day, you're probably on a tiered data plan. Why race to hit your cap? If you're unlimited, that's a good thing, but again people are getting throttled.

I don't know, it just seems like every time there's a brand new refresh there's some issues. I remember when the 3G came out that there were some major issues with 3G service because it wasn't widespread yet.

I guess depending on your carrier, you could be very disappointed waiting all this time for an LTE iPhone only to find out you're living in a market that's not getting LTE for over 18 months.

19. AmplifiedJ macrumors newbie

I'm somewhat in the same boat as the OP and would like some input.

Currently on Sprint with the original EVO 4G, with my contract ending in June. My original plan was to wait until the iPhone 5 came out to switch, but this week the bug in my brain started pestering me about moving ahead of schedule given the questionable time frame for the new iPhone's release, which would also put me in a not weird month for phone upgrades. Additionally, if I break my Sprint contract now, I'm basically at the lowest amount possible for financial penalty ($100), which would be the same to break from now until June.

So that's point one I'd like input on. The other one is the perennial AT&T vs. Verizon debate, which I won't open up here since it's in other threads.

Thanks!

(Also, first post, longtime lurker).

20. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Doesn't matter if it's worth it. It's new, you will need it. You will not be cool or whole without it. You will be laughed at with your antique 4S when the 5 comes out. :eek:

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If they stay with the same design (unlikely, I know), nobody will notice. Nobody really notices the differences between the 4 and 4S unless they REALLY know what to be looking for.

22. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

why are you leaving Sprint? Are you having problems with your service? I am on Sprint right now and upgrading to a 4S soon. The thing I like about Sprint is that they let you upgrade at the start of your 22nd month. So even though my contract is up in mid April, I can upgrade on Feb. 1st. This means my next upgrade will be in Dec. 2013. Coincidentally, Sprint is supposed to be just about finishing up their LTE rollout by the end of 2013. Perfect time to upgrade.

If you have any questions about Sprint, send me a private message.

23. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Depends on what phone you are coming from and how badly you want an iPhone if you don't have one already.

Personally, I got the iPhone 4S today because my free phone upgrade was available. I had the iPhone 4 so I will be selling that on eBay. I will sell the 4S on eBay as well when the 5 comes out. Though I have a feeling this year even more people will be dumping the older iPhone model in favor of the new one.

24. Mac pro 8 macrumors newbie

Me and the wife still have our Iphone 3gs's, even though it doesn't handle iOS 5 without freezing, crashing, shutting down, etc. It still works for us until the iPhone 5 comes out. I still love this phone with all the problems (in which I consider minor). ;)

25. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Umm if the OP isn't going to provide any more info anything anyone says here will just be a stab in the dark...