iPhone 4S overheating and dropping signal.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KUguardgrl13, Jun 17, 2013.

1. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm asking this on behalf of my boyfriend since he's not on here.

Basically his 4S (originally AT&T, now T-Mobile) occasionally overheats when it's charging and has been having issues with losing the signal. He took it in to the Genius Bar, and all they told him was to restore it and redownload his apps. The diagnostic supposedly said it was working fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is the only solution to hope a restore fixes it? Dependingn in what the 5S is like, he'll probably get that or the 5 this fall, but it'd be nice if the 4S would work properly in the meantime.

Thanks!

2. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

how hot does it get when it's charging? does it show the warning sign that says the temperature is too high? it's normal for it to get warm when the phone is plugged in as long as it doesn't get flamming hot that you have to throw the phone away.

about dropping signal, did it happen before switching to t mobile? it could be just the carrier. i had that with my 5 for a week, turned out it was because vodafone was upgrading their towers around me.

3. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It doesn't show any warning, but it does feel hotter than normal. You can feel it through an otterbox. My iPhone 5 also got that warm through an otterbox while plugged into the same power strip. Could the power strip being going bad maybe?

4. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

i don't think there is anything wrong with the power strip (unless the power strip got hot too), it sounds pretty normal to me. i had a speck candyshell before, which i would consider to be quite thick and i could still feel the heat very well. yours should be fine. :)

5. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I was wondering about the power strip because the Apple USB plugs were heating up too. I also had an issue where my iPhone 5 was plugged into one of the power strip's outlets, and it wasn't recognizing that it was plugged into a power source. Could also be the wiring in the house since it's older and hasn't been required in parts.

6. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

it's normal for the charger to get hot, but you should probably check the wire for the other problem (not recognizing a power source). i have never had that....

7. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Wire as in the lightening cable? It seems to work in the power strip's other outlets. That's why I'm wondering if the power strip is bad.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Try a new battery. Can't help with the signal.

9. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

Sorry I meant the power strip.

10. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm no electrician, so it might just be time to replace it. Thanks for the advice!

11. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

haha me neither, i just love messing around with my gadgets. :) glad i could help.