iPhone 4S Overseas Restore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by d4rklamp, Nov 14, 2011.

1. d4rklamp macrumors regular

Hi, I have an iPhone 4S carrier unlocked. Is it possible for me to restore my iPhone 4S overseas and activate it again? Currently, I have SOS only while using my original sim card since I moved to another country for holidays. But I need to restore my iPhone. Anyone got any experience with this?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you have a factory unlocked iPhone 4S, just put in the new activated SIM card. It'll work in the iPhone with no problem and you'll be able to keep all of your data.

3. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

But mine was locked to Optus. Then they unlocked it for me. Just wondering if my iPhone will still activate even if the sim does not roam in the country I'm currently in. I'm only getting SOS only signal. I know I can swap local sim cards and stuff, but I need to restore. Dont want my iPhone to get stuck in activation mode. Anyone has any clues?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the iPhone was once locked to a carrier, you have to restore it to complete the unlock process. Then every time you restore after that, it will be unlocked.

It would seem that your iPhone is still currently locked. You'll have to restore it so that iTunes can unlock it. You should have no problem restoring it anywhere in the world as long as you have a good internet connection. Just remember to activate it with a working and activated SIM card.

5. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I already restored when I was in Australia, and I got the "Congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked". Now I am in a different country, where my Optus sim card does not really work, I only have SOS Only. I know it is unlocked because I tried putting other sim cards in it. My worries is that I cannot activate it after restore. (Because my Optus sim card does not work in this country, no roaming or whatsoever). My iPhone is carrier unlocked. Just wondering if I can activate it in this country. (Does it need my carrier network signal to activate?)

6. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

nope it doesnt need any signal to activate!! i am from Pakistan and i have activated my 3G iPhones with the AT&T sim card from USA! and it works! and i even tried doing this on iPhone 4 as well!!! the phone can be activated with the sim even if it isnt active!

7. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks. Will give it a go ;)

8. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

your welcome!

9. icewing macrumors 6502

Please let us know what ended up happening.