iPhone 4S Pre-Order Delay Complaint....What I did to voice my frustration.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zipforia, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Zipforia, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

Zipforia macrumors member

Like MANY of you that have pre-ordered your iPhone 4S and did not receive it on the 14th, I have had number of frustrating conversations with the Customer Service Representatives (CSR). Also, like MANY of you that had these conversations, I was also told one thing and later told another (some would call this lying). Again, like MANY of you, I tried to cancel my order with no avail. So this is what I did.

1) I filed a complaint with the Better Business Beareau.

https://www.bbb.org/file-a-complaint/

2) I filled a complaint with the FCC.

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=2000A

3) I filled a complaint with California State Department of Justice, Attorney General's Office.

http://ag.ca.gov/contact/complaint_form.php?cmplt=CL

AT&T is a multi-billion dollar company. However, it has had the same iPhone pre-order delay problems since 3GS!!!

I AM NOT GETTING PUSHED AROUND BY AT&T ANYMORE! I WILL DO WHAT I CAN TO BE HEARD. YOU TOO CAN DO THE SAME!!

I'M MAKING IT CLEAR THAT THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT NOT RECEIVING THE IPHONE ON LAUNCH DATE. IT IS ABOUT BEING LIED TO BY AT&T AND NOT BEING ABLE TO CANCEL AN ORDER THAT HAS A BACK ORDER STATUS OF 21-28 DAYS. IT'S ABOUT CUSTOMER/CONSUMER RIGHTS. I HOPE THIS CLARIFIES WHY I'M DOING THIS.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

3. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Im shocked you guys can't cancel your orders. I cancelled mine 2 days after ordering. Took 1 minute at most and got my upgrade back 3 minutes later then ordered from Apple.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Wow, just wow. You really went to all that work over not getting your preorder on launch day? I wish I had that kind of time....

Oh, and IT'S JUST A PHONE....

Edit: And none of that is going to get you your phone any faster. If they don't have 'em, they don't have 'em.

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

To some people, it's more that a phone as we can see from post numero uno

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

And that right there is the problem. All the work above because s/he didn't get their phone on day one. A phone that will still be THE Apple phone for the next year.

If OP put that kind of effort into more charitable ventures, imagine what s/he could accomplish. Instead it's over a phone.

8. Berkeley1297 macrumors newbie

Fight Back!

9. Zipforia, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

Zipforia thread starter macrumors member

1) It took all of 5 minutes to fill out an online form for all 3 sites.

2) I make enough money to have all this kind of time.

3) If you think about it, an iPhone probably about 10% phone and 90% everything else.

4) I'm not doing this because I didn't get my phone in time. I'm doing this because I was lied to, and AT&T hasn't changed it's act over 3 years. It consistently takes advantage of consumers and customers.

Who knows...maybe you might benefit from my action. You can thank me later. :)

BTW, on the AT&T forum, there are people that have filed a complaint on BBB and in few days, his phone was sent...(http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-iPho...us-Shipping-Info-Updates/td-p/2907925/page/58 post 574).

----------

Thank you.

----------

Again, it's NOT because of a phone. It's because consumer and customer's rights have been violated. The phone is trivial. It's the fact that I was told one thing and later that information turned out to be not true. And the fact that I can't cancel my order?? Really??

I think standing up for consumer/customer's rights is an important and justifiable cause. Who knows? Maybe because of this, you'll have a better customer experience. I'm trying to stop billion dollar corporation from stepping on the individuals.

----------

10. malevolant macrumors 6502

WOW.

Overreaction much?

I had mine pre-ordered with Verizon, called, cancelled, bought in store. Game over.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

After spending 4 hours and 50 or so tries, attempting to order the iPhone 4S on the website, I gave up and went to sleep. Got on line and bought the 4S at the Apple Store.

I can't possibly expect the BBB, FCC, or the attorney general to do anything about Apple inability to let you buy something. It's not like they gave you poor service and screwed you somehow, is selling a device that's not the same as the one submitted for testing, or they discriminated against you.

If that's the case, why waste your free time on stupid stuff like this? Go on vacation or something.

12. Zipforia thread starter macrumors member

Glad you can cancel your pre-order...UNLIKE AT&T CUSTOMERS!!! Or else THIS POST WOULDN'T EXIST!!

Am I over reacting again? :p

----------

It's not Apple. It's AT&T.

Actually, YES. The gave me poor customer service by lying to me, and would not let me cancel my iPhone 4S order.

When customer/consumer rights are violated, I don't think fighting for that is considered "stupid." Is Better Business Bureau stupid?

13. AnotherBrian macrumors regular

AT&T wouldn't let me cancel my order either, even though it wasn't shipping for 21 to 28 days. Spent over a hour on phone with cust serv and managers. So I just walked into the Apple Store and bought one, AT&T will be getting theirs back when it ships to me.

Who has ever heard of not being able to cancel a order that doesn't ship for another 21 to 28 days. It just made me mad knowing it could be done. Yeah talking to a manager and he's acting like he's working on it, typing, putting me on hold, and giving me the bull it's in process. Yeah process of getting high number iPhone sales for that launch weekend. So my in process iPhone should be here around November the 10th.

14. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

OP, boy you trippin'. Thank you for the cackle.

15. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Better Business Bureau is not stupid, but I would rather they not waste precious time and money on people who's only complaint is that they didn't get their iphone on launch day. I would rather they worry more about the people who got ripped off for $1000's from handymen who never come back and do the work they prepaid for, from telemarketers that target the elderly to get them to buy stuff they don't need, etc. Those are real BBB complaints.

Again, go volunteer somewhere, sign some petitions to save environment (or something), give money to charity. If you have so much money that you have all this free time, then go get in line pay full price and then sell the one you pre-ordered when it comes in to someone....

I don't even know why I bothered to come back to this thread....

16. Zipforia thread starter macrumors member

I'm glad my frustrations entertain you. I'll just leave it at that.

17. Zipforia, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

Zipforia thread starter macrumors member

Are you serious right now??? From what I wrote, that's all you got?? You think my complaint is ONLY about not getting my phone on time??? You got to be kidding me!!! Do you not read the reply properly before you post??? I can be mean, but I will choose not to. Please RE-READ MY COMPLAINT CAREFULLY before you reply.

Your scenario sounds like someone was lied to. Like I was lied to! Dollar figure does not matter. It's about company integrity <--- Again, one of my complaint. ***Not about receiving phone on time.***

Are you the BBB? 'Nough said.

So...you don't think Consumer rights/Customer rights are not important? <--- Again, one of my complaint. ***Not about receiving phone on time.*** Things that are important to you are saving cuddly furry animals and helping the homeless? Why do you think there are riots in Wall St.? Because corporate giants were mean to dolphins and did not volunteer at their local homeless shelters? It's because corporate giants (ie. AT&T) feel as though they can get away with a lot of things and the individual citizens can't do anything about it. <--- Again, one of my complaint. ***Not about receiving phone on time.***

Great idea!! Maybe I can do that IF THERE WERE ANY IPHONES 4S LEFT IN THE STORES!!! If AT&T told me the truth from the beginning, maybe I had the choice to do what you suggested...Instead of stringing me along with the wrong information until everything was sold out.

My sentiments exactly. :confused:

18. aztooh macrumors 6502a

It's ATT's fault that Apple didn't supply them enough iPhone's to fulfill their customer demand? Can you explain that?

And, as others have already stated, you're a bit worked up about it. Yeah, it's more than a phone...whoopty do. I bet the phone you had already worked just fine considering you're a self-proclaimed moneybags.....not like it was putting you out any by not having it 3 seconds after it released.

19. Zipforia thread starter macrumors member

YES. I can explain that.

It's not AT&T's fault that Apple didn't supply them with enough iPhones to fulfill their customer's demands. It is AT&T's fault for taking orders that were beyond the number of iPhones they had. In other words, AT&T took more orders then they had iPhones to fulfill. If they had 100 iPhone allotted for first shipment pre-orders, then that's all the pre-orders they should've taken. But they didn't. Then they told the customers the phone will be shipped on certain day (which varies with customers) and when all the phones were gone, decided to tell the rest of the people that order the phones that it was back ordered....and that they can not cancel it. Does this sound right to you?

Do you want to know what company gains by taking pre-orders and not filling them (back ordering)? Because in company statistics, then can claim that certain number of iphones have been sold (because AT&T already charged your credit card and has your money), even though a lot of those orders haven't been fulfilled yet. It's a marketing ploy. The numbers look good for the board of directors and stock prices. Is this the right thing to do? Sure it is, as long as the company lets the consumers know an item is back ordered and consumers are ok with that. But this wasn't the case. A lot of people (I'm sure you can see how many AT&T customers are unhappy based on the iphone pre-order thread in this forum) were not told this up front. That's the problem.

I absolutely am! I wouldn't have it any other way when the same B.S. have been going on since iPhone 3GS days. When this happened at 3GS launch, sure...AT&T was unprepared. iPhone 4 launch and this happens again, ok...a little irritated but not going to get..as you put it.."worked up about it." When it happens for the third time?? Are you serious?? Have you not learned your lesson from two previous times???

I'm glad we can agree. It has all my contacts. All the phone number I don't have remembered. All my business contacts and business deal emails that are crucial for my livelihood, all my precious photos, all my notes that I rely on for my business and personal life. Sure they are backed up. But what's the point of having these things backed up if I don't have a phone to access them on the go? To me, my phone isn't just a phone. It's a business tool as well. It makes me more efficient. I can access everything that I mentioned about from my computer. But it makes my personal and professional life a lot easier because of my iphone. Maybe to you an iphone is just a phone with games and an portal to youtube. For many of us, its vital part of life.

You're absolutely right. My phone works just fine. It doesn't "put me out any." And...if I offered people couple of thousand dollars from my "moneybag" I'm sure a lot of people aren't going to turn that down and will benefit from my "moneybag." So, I'm not apologizing for being rich.

20. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

Reason why I never pre order anything... I just get up and go get it some how

21. Zipforia thread starter macrumors member

I've also learned my lesson and share your sentiments.

22. Berkeley1297 macrumors newbie

Huge misunderstanding

I still don't understand why so many people are providing negative comments to the original post on this thread.

When a major corporation takes more "pre-orders" than they can fulfill, and then prevents customers from canceling those preorders despite a delay in shipment, the corporation is in essence signing up extra customers to a 2-year agreement than it is capable of providing services. This precludes switching wireless carriers if the person is dissatisfied. THAT IS ILLEGAL.

This is a violation of consumer rights. Period. Regardless of how much a person makes, how much charity a person does, etc. it is an issue that warrants becoming indignant. If you are not upset at the delay, you have that right also and I wouldn't criticize your patiently waiting.

BTW: When I spoke to an AT&T customer service manager (at the call center), they fully acknowledged IT WAS AN ERROR IN THE COMPUTER SYSTEM AND THAT FOR FUTURE LAUNCHES THEY WOULD CORRECT THIS. They also understood this error makes them open to class action law suite (i.e., when I mentioned that they didn't dismiss it and immediately took down the complaint more thoroughly and indicated they would forward it to senior management).

AT&T store manager also admitted that the East Coast orders were being fulfilled first and that THIS WAS UNFAIR to West Coast customers who pre-ordered (again a glitch in the computer system and order allocation methodology).

So if AT&T itself is recognizing this was poor planning and will be addressed for future launches, why are people on this thread persisting in criticizing the original post? If you don't agree and think this is trivial, why aren't YOU spending your time in some more meaningful activity?

A violation of consumer rights needs to be addressed to prevent something that could be more severe and more financially tangible in the future. What's next?

BTW: BBB seemed to think my complaint was worthy of further investigation and forwarded it to AT&T California executive office in Sacramento. In your own words "BBB is not stupid". Indeed. They didn't dismiss the complaint.

23. Berkeley1297 macrumors newbie

Thank You

To Zipforia:

I also filed a complaint with FCC and CA State Attorney General's office. Thank you for sharing the links.

Yes, it took only 5 minutes on each site to file a complaint, and I was able to complete the forms while having my morning caffeine, and it did not take away from any other meaningful activity in the day. :)

If there is a delay in product delivery, or if the customer changes his / her mind for ANY reason prior to a product even being ready for shipment, the customer has the RIGHT to cancel that order. When a company prevents cancelations of orders that the customer never received it is forcing a business relationship unilaterally. That's ILLEGAL.