iPhone 4S Price Drop On Criagslist?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Neverbepeace, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

My friend put his 16gig 4S up for sale.....not even 3 weeks old....the offers that he's getting are $360-$400 but he has it listed for $480......seems pretty low for an iPhone that came out 2 months ago. I usually see the iPhone 4 in those price ranges. Granted, the iPhone 4 can be tethered JB on the latest firmware...but the prices seem off. Brand new 4S can be bought for $500 here in NY.

I wonder if the "No Jailbreak" is the reason for the low price tag. Hmmmmm or is the apple resale value slipping?

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

$400 is a pretty good price for a locked 4S!

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I doubt the resale values are decreasing. My guess is that this time of year people are spending (or have already spent) their money elsewhere. Last I heard the time to get a phone shipped is decreasing so the initial demand is waning/passed. I'd just say "poor timing" and if he hangs onto it I assume the price will go back up. Since he wants to sell it he could JB (easily if iOS 5.0) and see if that makes a difference.

Also, Craigslist doesn't have as wide of an audience as other sites and people like to low ball. In my community there is only one iPhone4S listed since 11/24 for $675.

If it's only three weeks old he can return it if the goal is simply to get out from under it.

4. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

5. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

made me laugh out loud

6. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Posting on Craigslist is always going to get responses with people offering very low amounts. IMO that's the just the way Craigslist is. It's not just phones either.

As far as price drop, it could definitely be the holidays. People need money this time of the year and iPhone's always fetch a pretty good amount. We get 16gb 4s' in between $300-$400 pretty frequently. However, here in Las Vegas, there are usually quite a few for sale every day.

7. jokemjokester macrumors member

jokemjokester

I think it benefits to those who are on At&t, like me lol. Two days ago, I picked up a 3 week 64gb white 4s for $550 with all brand new accessories. Not too shabby if you ask me :cool:

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

People want to get the Galaxy Nexus. It may be one of many reasons why the iPhone 4 s prices are dropping.

The only Android Phone worth getting are the nexus phones because Google/manufactuers controls the software updates and not the carriers.

Also a simple supply and demand issue.

So many carriers have iPhones that many people may have other options and simply want to dump their iPhones and just move on. People with incomes. Selling and iPhone 4s for $350 (after buying it for $199 plus tax/activation) is no big deal. Just collect the cash, pay the ETF ($325-350) and move on.

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

it may be all of the above, plus the fact that people might just rather buy an iphone 4 for cheaper.

in other words, the used iphone 4 may be eating into the iphone 4s market since the two are so comparable for many people. (please, no debates about all the improvements in the 4s. I don't deny any of that).

plus all the people that wanted the 4s got it on release, and maybe the rest are the people that were waiting for the iphone 5.

10. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I'm in central Ohio, and a friend just bought a ip 4 off craigslist for less than $300. 3 mos old, excellent condition.

I really think some of the people who put iphones on there have ridiculous expectations for what they're worth. I mean, seriously, if I can buy a brand new one for $500 -- why on earth am I going to pay $480 for his used one?

11. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

16GB iP4S retail price is $650 not $500... so $480 is a great price

12. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Dohhh - I knew that; obviously a senior moment.

13. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

To be fair, he was talking about the older ip4.

14. Devil Dog 21 macrumors newbie

Bought my 4s for $400 on craigslist. It was 1 week old and the seller just switched to an SII. Funny thing is I switched from an SII that I sold for $350, and I'm not looking back.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Right now there are plenty of 16GB iPhone 4Ss going on eBay in the $460-$500 range, and those are actual bids in the auction style sales. So, the prices are still on the high side there.

That said, you're probably getting lowballed on craigslist because it's 16GB (lowest capacity), Apple's supply is probably finally catching up with demand, and because it's locked and there's no untethered jailbreak/unlock as yet.

16. blackhawk526 macrumors member

blackhawk526

Been there...

Sold my White 4S 16gb for $430. It was a far cry from the original $500 I wanted. :( Even further from the $800 I got off the 4 when it released...Oh well, can't win em all!