iPhone 4S Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MizterKewl, Dec 26, 2011.

1. MizterKewl macrumors newbie

I want an iPhone 4S, but I have T-Mobile. I know that you can buy an unlocked one from Apple, but they are $750 (for 32gb). I was wondering does anyone know if there is an unlock for a Sprint or Verizon iPhone 4S that would allow you to use it on T-Mobile that they have sim slots now...because I've found cheaper phones from those two carriers on Craigslist. If not do you think the iPhone is work $750?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I was under the impression that if the phone is an official unlocked device that you would be able to use it on any carrier (US or Internationally). Their is no Sprint or Verizon unlocked iPhone, Apple only makes one model for all carriers and if that phone is unlocked, then its unlocked and able to use with anyone.

3. trajen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

There is currently no software jailbreak or unlock for any model of iPhone 4S. The CDMA (Sprint, Verizon) model supposedly ships with an unlocked SIM slot for *international* use outside of the US, though you'll have to discuss that with your CDMA carrier. If you purchase an unlocked 4S directly from Apple it is configured to only work with a GSM carrier (AT&T, T-Mobile).

I would say if you can afford $750 just buy the unlocked 4S and head to T-Mobile for a microSIM. That way you'll never have to worry about "accidentally" upgrading and losing your unlock. There's a thread in this forum for getting a 4S to work flawlessly with T-Mobile. Good luck!

4. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Are you locked into a contract to t-mobile?
    If not, why not switch to att and at least get good 3g data speeds.

5. lordofthereef, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This isn't exactly true. The Sprint and verizon versions do have a sim card slot which they will unlock for you for NON US carriers. This means if you popped an ATT or TMO (USA) sim in there it wouldn't work. The only TRULY unlocked phone (for US and other carriers) is either the ATT phone that they factory unlock if purchased for full retail OR the one that Apple stores sell as an unbranded (no carrier) GSM unlocked model.

TO answer the OP's question specifically, you can't use the Sprint or Verizon one on TMO in the states without running a software unlock, which doesn't exist yet.

6. MizterKewl thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I don't pay my bill. So I can't switch as much as I would like to...

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So pay your own bill. Solution! :D

8. MizterKewl thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've been thinking about just forking out the money...cuz then I will also get a warranty on the phone if I buy it from Apple. Also like you said less stress about upgrading and unlock issues. I was just trying to see if I could save a couple dollars.

----------

Ha ha ha even though I could... I rather not