Iphone 4s Refurbished

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MimiMariahLamb, Nov 28, 2011.

1. MimiMariahLamb macrumors newbie

Hi, I know this has been asked a lot but I can't find anything on the 4s. Just wanted some advice, basically my 4s has issues with the flash bleeding on to the screen and constant signal dropping. I contacted Vodafone UK and I was told i would be provided with a replacement by courier. The lady did tell me that it would come in a sealed box with all accessories etc and would be 'new' but is there any chance it could still be refurbished even if it was sealed in original packaging? Thanks!

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Highly doubt it as the 4s is very very new.

Also I remember my 4 was water damaged (I had it for 11 months), so I paid $200 for a replacement at the genius bar. I specifically asked the guy if these are refurbished, he said no, they are just different stock that come in a white box. He was the manager so I kind of trust him.

3. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

If it comes in the original box then it is new. If it comes in a black box then it will be a refurb.

4. MimiMariahLamb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! so the only way to definitely know its not a refurb is if the box is sealed and in the retail packaging? if so then i can definitely guarantee its brand new?

Thank you so much!

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Do you have proof of this?

At the Apple store, when I paid $200, he just took it out of some black case and gave it to me and put the damaged one back in.

Also OP, take it to the Apple store you have 1 year warranty. They will give you a new one. Just pack everything in its original box. If nothing is nearby, call Apple Care in the UK and have them somehow get it replaced via delivery.

6. MimiMariahLamb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice! Im in London so have the regent street/covent garden apple stores near me but have heard they mainly give out refurbs. I might pop in today and see whether i get given a sealed box or not.

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

The covent garden store is so nice.

Yeah, pop in and definitely ask if it is new. :)

The possibility of it being new is highly likely because the 4s is very new.

Also is this within 14 days of purchase? If you really really want a new one, you can return it and buy a new one (as long as it is in the 14 day window)

8. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I believe ip4 and ip4s have many identical parts, so possible warranty exchange ip4s is refurblish.

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Not much is the same, except how it looks. The CPU, modem, etc. are all different. So is the antenna.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Likelyhood

Of getting a refurbished 4S has got to be next to zero....Returned 4s" s will be dissected by Apple engineers to locate and troubleshoot.

Pretty sure you will get a new one.

11. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Apple store uk told me any swap out would be refurbished so they are out there.

12. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

The 'if its in a black box it's refurbed' does not hold true always. All replacement phones come out of a black non-retail packaged box UNLESS they run out of these, then they can grab a retail box. The day after launch all stores had 4S's in black non-retail boxes that contained new phones. Now that it's been out, there is a chance it could contain a refurbished unit but it could also be new.

Does it really matter? They replace any part that is defective and any part that has blemishes on it, It's essentially new.

13. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Apple do not give out refurbished iPhones...They do give out remanufactured iPhones. Vodafone on the other hand do but if its in a sealed Apple iPhone 4S box then it is definitely not a refurb or remanufactured model.

14. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Explain the difference.

15. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Then you need to tell apple store staff because when I asked they said the word refurbished. My question was - is it new? The reply - no it will be refurbished.

16. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Its a common misunderstanding. Apple doesn't give people second hand phones / refurbs

Remanufactured - All the working insides are taken from a broken/not working iPhone 4s and put in a completely new case (New body basically. New glass back,front and antenna band. New NAND flash as well) Most of the phone is new. Sometimes this is better as it has gone through better Q&A

Refurbished - Been checked there not too scratched up and beaten. Been checked they work fully. Then resold or used to replace another phone. All the same parts, data been wiped off phone.

17. Zxxv macrumors 68040

well that last part covers a lot of returned phones then. Returned in the return period. Nothing wrong with them. Wipe and put in the refurb box. Also mine would have gone in that group. The genius couldn't even say if there was anything wrong with my phone but would exchange it. So you'd get mine a second hand phone that when tested would show no defects but exchanged cause genius was confused.

What about returns cause of loose buttons yellow screen rattles etc that apple say are ok but users won't accept so return in return period. All in the refurb box after a wipe?

Based on experience I'd say a lot of phones are refurbs/2nd hand

18. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

They should get sent where the "Black box" iPhones get sent.