iPhone 4S remains the top graphically performing smartphone in the US - beats US GS3

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DodgeV83, Jun 20, 2012.

1. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The iPhone 4S remains the top graphically performing smartphone, with the best GPU in the United Statess - beating the United States version of the Samsung Galaxy S3.

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Two points:

1. The iPhone 4S is very powerful. In terms of raw performance, it was a huge leap for Apple, and the phone industry in general.

2. For those people that insist the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S are the same...please stop with that...

3. boomboom2 macrumors regular

4. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Simple.

If a rival has faster performance - Specs don't matter.
    If a rival has lower performance - Specs matter.

This works for all platforms be it consoles, computers, phones, TV's, fridge freezers......

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Not surprising. Review sites slam the GSIII for stuttering, stating that the Evo 4G LTE and the HTC One X are far better Android devices.

6. emacna1 macrumors regular

I was just comparing my fridge with my buddy's the other night. He was trying to tell me fridge specs don't matter!

7. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

The iPhone 4S is no slouch, I imagine the new iPhone will be a beast as well! :D

8. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Had a play with a friends SGS3 the other day, lots of good points but one of the first things I noticed was the stutter between homepages. I remember thinking "this is supposed the be a quad core!?"

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You do realise that for the average user, all that raw performance is wasted.

Trust me, Facebooking, tweeting, SMSing, web surfing is what they measure it by... so yeah, to them the 4S and 4 are the same.

10. Seiga macrumors regular

International is quad core with 1 gig of ram.

U.S. is dual core with 2 gigs of ram.

11. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Only if your on top!

Cause if you talk about raw performance in notebooks and desktops, its irelevant and its all about the user experience, not the fact that PC enthusiasts build systems that blow away Mac Pros ;)

12. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

well the international SGS3 thrashes the 4s so don't get too happy;)

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Everything is wasted on "average" users so what's your point? With that mindset Apple should still be selling iPhone 1 as their flagship.

14. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Having just recently switched from a 4 to a 4s, I can definitely say that even these basic standard phone functions are noticeably faster on a 4s...NOT so dramatic as night and day, but EVERYTHING is definitely snappier, from web browsing, to opening menus, switching pages, etc. And when you throw the amazing leap in camera quality and Siri in, I think even the average consumer would appreciate the upgrade. The thing that people get stuck on, is that it looks the same on the outside. I think most people (myself included) are very visually oriented, and when we see a phone that looks exactly like the phone you already have, it takes a lot of wind out of the sails...

15. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Ok...you feel better now? For me its about user experience, not specs on paper.

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

[​IMG]

17. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

wow if the iPhone 4s has graphics better than any other phone too market to day i can't imagine what will happen when (if) the a5x chip comes to it, however I'm hoping that the new iPhone will be sporting a new a6 chip with a faster processor and newer architecture for the graphics rather than the a5x. Then we wudnt see such a big difference in graphics but they are already fast enough and then we can see a huge difference in the overall use of the phone.

18. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

For completeness, it doesn't (hence DodgeV83's emphasis on the U.S Snapdragon based Galaxy S III).

The i9300 with the Exynos 4212 & Mali-400MP is faster (EDIT: In that specific benchmark at least and we all know what synthetic benchmarks are worth right?) :p.
    [​IMG]

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If Apple recycles the A5X from the new iPad in the iPhone "5" it should be off the scale powerful when it comes to pushes graphics. Especially since the new iPhone will probably have half the resolution.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, it sickens me that the USA phones are gimped with Qualcomm SOC's because of LTE.

20. I.Love.Apple macrumors regular

A5 chips in iPad consume too much power to be used in the phones. This is not going to happen.

Also, comparing iPhone 4S to domestic Galaxy S3 misses a few important points. iPhone does not have LTE. Neither does A5. To have LTE in iPhone 5 APple would have either to go with the same S4 CPU as Galaxy S3 or use two chips (A5 and LTE chipset from Qualcomm). It's not clear what's going to happen.

As for now, international Galaxy S3 can operate on all the frequencies/protocols that iPhone 4S can (and then some more - specifically fast version of T-Mobile GSM) and its GPU is faster than the one in iPhone.

21. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Yeah, I know, hence the reason I said quad core. Im in the UK.

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

1. People said Apple wouldn't use A5 and dual core PowerVR SGX 543MP2 in the iPhone because of power consumption, but here we are with the iPhone 4S.

2. Apple will never use the Qualcomm S4 Krait in their iPhone. Never happen unless it is massively overhauled by Apple first and tailored to the iPhone.

3. I dont care about international versions. If you are in one of those markets though, more power to you.

23. oBMTo macrumors 6502

Convenient that the OP left out every other test that Anandtech did (and also conveniently left out the source so people can see how trash the 4S really is).

24. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I don't really go by benchmarks as various ones can be swayed to either OS etc and this one left out other testing done, however in that one how is the GSII scoring higher than the III??? And which GSII did they use? I know my version is the Exynos chip which is powerful and efficient vs Snapdragon in other GSIIs.

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Like the SIII having some of the worst brightness in the market? That test?

[​IMG]