iPhone 4s repair, after swimming with it lol

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by suren1987, Mar 22, 2012.

1. suren1987, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

suren1987 macrumors newbie

Well here is the problem. I can take the iPhone to the service to fix it, but i wanted to try and do it myself first.

After swimming with the iPhone in a fresh water lake (for 10 minutes lol), it obviously works bad lol

The problem is the following:
    The iPhone will only work with the charger wire connected to it, as soon as i disconnect it from the charger the phone just turns off. My guess is that the problem is with the battery, of course since there was water inside the phone the problem can be in almost anything.
    Also when the phone is on, the volume icon is always active across the screen with volume show to be set to minimum.

I know that most of you guys don't know how to help, but maybe someone can give me some sort of advice as to what can be done, (the rice bag is a bit to late, since the phone went for a swim about 3 months ago).

Just want to hear some ideas as to what can be done to fix it.

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Hopefully you have AC+ on it and are willing to pay for a replacement.

Corrosion is a ...... well, let's just say it's a nasty ongoing problem that can continue to effect and wreck havoc on things long after it's dry. Without you popping it apart and thoroughly checking each and every component, there's no way to say for certain what the problem is or that if you fix one thing, another part won't go on the fritz.

Otherwise, it sounds like you have multiple problems going on already so Apple seems to be the best answer.

Good luck with what ever you do.

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted

Take it to the apple store and get an out of warranty replacement for 200$US that's your best option.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This is what I was going to say, but I have a feeling the OP doesn't want to hear this. But I agree, a DIY job will just result in a lot of wasted time and money because water damage (especially after 3 months) will have so many on going issues, that their almost seems no point in even trying to fix it. Pay Apple the $199 and move on (or if you have AppleCare+, pay the $50 deductible).

5. suren1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i plan to take it apart today and see what is going on on the inside, i guess i will upload pictures on my way through the process
    I still have hope that maybe it’s just the battery, there can be miracles if you believe lol
    But yeah im still amazed that it works after swimming with it for 10 minutes

Since i live in Moscow, Russia, there is no real Apple service here. i will try my self, and maybe then give it to the individual services here that repair apple products, let them do a diagnostics and tell me what the issues might be. and from there i will see if i can fix it myself

6. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

lol an Apple Service provider will just tell you how much it will cost to replace. By opening it up you will not be eligble for the Out of Warranty replacement. You can get Apple to replace it over the phone as well.

7. suren1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Again my friend, we are talking about Apple Care in normal countries such as The UK and USA, here in Russia, Moscow it's different, unfortunately. Since the iPhone 4s i have was imported to Russia from EU, and is not an official phone for Russia, the official Apple Care here wont even have a look at it, and even if they will, they will say " You swam with it, what do you expect, we can fix it, it will cost you hmm around $500”, (FYI here the officially sold iPhone 4s costs $1 500 and the unofficial ones that are brought here from the EU are $ 1 000).
    But if they tell me well your battery needs replacement and smth else that I can replace my self, then I can buy the parts on eBay or any other website, and repair it myself saving myself about half the price.

So I just wanted to see if any one here maybe into digging around in the iPhone and could give me a hint.
    I will open up the phone and see if there is any corrosion goin on, if so then no point in fixing the phone at all.

8. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

9. suren1987, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

suren1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

i took appart my iPhone 4 s
    and this is how the battery looks, im not sure if it is damaged,
    though there is lots of corrision around the connectors to the battery and so on[​IMG]
    im not sure how to add images here is a link
    http://flic.kr/p/bF6MqD

10. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

Battery replacement easy enough but how are you going to fix stuck volume button?

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'd be willing to say that battery is toast.
    While you have it open, keep looking for other corrosion and nasty bits.

12. suren1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i opened it up took everything apart from each other, cleaned off corrosion that was seen, it didn't open up the logic board completely, i put everything back together, and now the apple actually appears with out being connected to the charger, but it wont turn on, and it wont turn on with the charger, i only turns on if i use an external battery. it turns of and then turns off. i also tried turning on the iphone without the internal battery connected, but it dose not go any further then the apple logo and just turns of and back on.

well guess the problem isn't with the batter, i will take it to the un official apple service here, see what they will say.
    and i don't know what to do with the stuck volume key. not sure if it is possible to fix this phone owell, maybe next time my brother goes swimming with his phone in his pocket he will think twice...

i'll let you know if the service will be able to fix it

----------

i was hoping it would magically go away with the battery replacement. lol

13. suren1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well just took it back from the unofficial apple service
    they said i need the battery changed, and i also need to change the sync/doc charger thingi, i don't know what it's called in english, and they said i just need the side bar cleaned from corrosion to fix the volume issue
    well, ill let you know guys what will be in the end

14. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Wait - you said you paid $1000 for the phone, right?

And you took it swimming . . . am I missing something?

15. suren1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the phone was a present for my younger brother for his birthday, and yeah he left it in his pocket and went swimming with it.

And a 64gb iPhone 4s unlocked here goes for around $1 100 so yeah who ever bought it for him paid around a 1000 because that is the price for them here

when they just come out in the states (the new iphones) they are sold around here for $3000 and people are retarded enough to buy them...

16. suren1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well turns out the stuck volume button is unfixable, well they did say they can give it a try, but it migh stop the functionality of the phone completley. Because there was a short circuit or something like that on the main board near the volume swtich, they can try to fix it, but again the swith is close to the processor and fixing it can kill the phone.

How ever they offered to exchange it for 15 000rubles, that is aprox $500 to have someone take it to the US, and some how, im not sure how, exchange it for a brand new one at the apple service.... Can someone from the USA explain this to me lol, is it possible? if so i have friends going to the USA i can have them do it.

17. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Yes Apple will replace it for around 199 usd for a new replacement.

18. suren1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any idea how long this process takes? and can i do it in the UK? or is it only USA?

19. Jason black macrumors regular

You might want to call them first and see of they'll replace an iPhone from another country in the us.

20. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

They will anyway but if I recall correctly from an above post the seller got the phone imported from the US or Eu anyway. I've had my UK iPhone replaced in the US before with a warranty repair when It stopped working on holiday.

21. CmdrThor macrumors member

Pretty sure the $199 replacement is not going to happen given he opened up the phone.

22. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

What the above poster said. They wont replace it knowing you opened it and tried fixing it yourself.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    That's what everyone thinks when they get their iphone wet. Sure its just the battery:)
    More like you shorted and rotted out most internal components.
    If you have an Apple repair place or Apple store where you live bring it in and have them replace it for the out or warranty price. If you have that option available there.

24. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Oh I didn't see that. If its not obvious he opened it up they will still replace though.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

What were you doing in a freshwater lake for ten minutes in the middle of January in Russia? THAT is the million dollar question.