iPhone 4S Replacement at Apple store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kannesss, Oct 25, 2012.

1. kannesss macrumors 6502a

So, I have a 4S. It's under a year old, but is probably out of warranty since i replaced the screen. The camera wont zoom in on things anymore. like everything in the pic is blurry if its close up at all, but shooting like pics of trees is fine. Just upcloser like people group shot distance is blurry.

I hear you can take it to apple and theyll replace it for 199 or 299, for an out of warranty replacement.. I cant remember. I dont have apple care. It's under a year old, but since i changed the screen it is out of warranty i assume. and I didnt drop it to cause this. What will happen when i walk in?
    I will hand them my phone, tell them what its doing and they...?

Never been before just seeing what all is required. Do they plug it into the computer at all? that would be the only way theyd know it was a different phone that it originally was, as the phone was white and was converted to black.

2. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Can you tell you changed the screen? If it looks original they won't be able to tell. It should be under warranty.

You can try focusing the camera while tapping on the back near the lens at the same time to unstick the auto focus lens. This has worked for many people.

3. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

no the screen looks the exact same, except when you plug it in.. The phone was originally white so it shows up like that in itunes. wouldnt they be like,....ummmm wtf.

also how much is an out of warranty replacement?

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

if they run your phone information you just lost your warranty lol (they most likely will) but you will be shelling out $149 for an oow replacement.

5. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

for the same gb model??:eek: only 149

6. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

7. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

They do, just like they keep iPhone 5 replacements in stock. They aren't limited to what they sell on the public floor lol it's like a whole nother store in the back

9. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just didnt figure they got trucks of refurbished phones, but its their stores and ive never been in one so itll be crazy anyway.

But i just go up there, say my phhones not working, they eventually realize it is out of warranty, and they just charge me 149 for a refurb 64gb one?

10. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

It's not that easy, they run diagnostics, check the data, and will restore it first, then tell you to come back in 10 days if you still have issues. The only reason I got lucky was because my phone turned off in the middle of it, and the guy was frustrated so he just replaced it, I was browsing macrumors on the iPad like "damn oh well guess I'm not getting a new phone" and he comes back out and I quickly closed the tab before he saw what my real intentions were. Told me to sign my name and happily told me that he replaced my phone and was going to activate it right now.
    It was like jesus heard my prayers.

11. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

seriously? can i just lie on the phone an do it instead? i can wait a week for shipping, if i can just get a new one. dammit this is too *********** hard. just for a dumba$$ phone. :rolleyes:

12. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

try saying "my phone sometimes says sim card not installed and I've replaced the sim card and restored the phone multiple times"
    Obviously if you have AT&T this will work but not for Verizon or Sprint.
    If you have Verizon or Sprint you're screwed unless you say your home button is being shoddy, which they will try to test

13. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

my idea was, to call support. and ask for an out of warranty refurb phone. could just being blunt about it work?

Like, i messed up and now i need a new phone, give me a previously broken one, for cheap please. :D

14. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

You COULD try being honest but we all know most of the time that gets you absolutely nowhere. You could tell them that the camera has an issue, they will most likely restore it and try it again

15. kannesss thread starter macrumors 6502a

and getting one on craigslist is not only 500 for the same thing, but someone could sell em one with a bad esn and that would just be so much fun.

oh the joy of this.:(