iPhone 4s' resale value

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ApplesAndOrangs, Dec 23, 2011.

1. ApplesAndOrangs macrumors regular

2. ecwhite4S, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Obviously the iPhone 4 would have a higher resale value for longer.. the 4S isn't the 5, so people wouldnt be lusting over it like they did when the 4 came out. Remember how much of an upgrade the 4 was from the 3? Well the 4S is physically identical to the 4, but has the dual core processor, Siri, 8mp cam, etc. It's definitely an upgrade, but not exactly what you would call the next generation.

And I wouldn't say the average price is $490. There were some for $575, $615, $699 and some refurbished for $550. And for the cheap ones? Have fun bidding on those!! The price is lower because people are going to wait and then have a bidding fight at the last second, they wont get that phone for $490. It'll be well into the 500s, possibly 600s. Look again on eBay, it shows the "Buy It Now" sales vs. the bidding ones. The "buy it now" ones all have higher prices.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

No. IMHO it's a tool, not an investment, so the value is relevant only if you have an immediate need to buy or sell one.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That, I agree with.

But the most likely reason as to why it's dropping is because the ease of getting the 4S now. It can come unlocked, and it comes on many carriers.

Why would someone want to pay $500-600 for a locked AT&T one when they can just buy an unlocked one? Or better yet, just get a Sprint or Verizon one?

5. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

My att 4s will be up for sale the moment I have it JB and unlocked -
    I will go back to my JB 3g and wait for the SGS3 to come out -
    A freshly JB and unlocked 4s will get top dollar in the early market -

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The lack of an untethered jailbreak and unlock is probably what's keeping the value of the 4S down. When one's released, the prices should stabilize.

7. ApplesAndOrangs thread starter macrumors regular

It's relevant to us when the 5 comes out. Most of us sell the last generation and get the new one. Just concerned that my 4s will be worth like $200 when the 5 comes out

8. ApplesAndOrangs thread starter macrumors regular

That is probably why. Higher supply of factory unlocked phones.

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I wish I could find a used 4 for a cheaper price... I've seen 4's as much as the 4S!!! I want one for my wife so she can experience the iPhone bliss ;)

10. psionicsin macrumors 6502

psionicsin

$200...??? Yeah that's NOT gonna be the case lol. When the 5 comes out, there are going to be people that don't want to be early adopters and would GLADLY buy our 4S'. Or those that want another phone, but don't wanna wait for contract to end.

Unlocked and Jailbroken or not, I'd say the resale will be anywhere from $450-$550. If you bought it subsidized, then that's more than 200% profit. If you bought it without contract, then it's a justifiable price if it's been used considering you can get one without contract for $650 is it?

So don't worry...just like any iPhone...we're covered either way.

11. ApplesAndOrangs thread starter macrumors regular

The trend suggests it has changed, I don't think we will see a $450-$550 demand for the 4s, when the 5 comes around.

4s demand will be averaging around $365. Because of these factors:

1)Higher supply of factory unlocked phones.
    2)More cariers jumping on the iphone.
    3)The 4s not being radically diff. than the 4.

We'll find out in 8 months when I bump this thread. :D

12. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Not sure why I would be concerned about this. Much more concerned about what my deductible would be if lose or damage my phone.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Am I the only one that caught this?
    You said your 4S is JB and unlocked?:rolleyes:

14. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

No, he said once he gets it unlocked/JB - THEN he'll sell it.

I'm about to put mine on Craigs List (switched to Verizon from AT&T, so I need to ditch the AT&T 4S). I'll be happy if I break even on the phone and cover some of the cancellation fee.