iPhone 4S restored: only half of my apps put back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by qma, Mar 4, 2013.

1. qma macrumors newbie

I have a problem which is quite complicated to describe; but here goes:
    My iPhone 4S had a clicking screen so I was allowed a new one in the apple store. I backed up my old iphone on my pc at home (full backup) and when travelling abroad to the apple store (theres no apple store in my home country) I made a newer backup to my laptop (which did not have my iTunes library). After getting a new iPhone at the store, I restored my iPhone 4S with the backup from my laptop. As expected, none of my 3rd party apps were restored (since the laptop did not have my library). When I downloaded some of my apps directly from my iPhone, they were automatically put back in the right place/folder, most of them even with the appdata still intact.
    When I arrived home, I synchronised my new iPhone with my pc (which has the iTunes library). To my surprise, only half of my apps were restored to the iPhone - although all the apps are still in my iTunes library. When I try installing the missing apps directly from my iPhone, they are installed in the wrong place (first available position).

So here's my question: is there a way of seeing which apps were installed where on my iphone when I made my last backup? I had about 200 apps installed, all neatly arranged in folders but only 75 were put back (and not necessarily the newest or oldest ones, it's very random). I have about 450 apps in my iTunes library and I don't remember exactly which ones were installed and which ones weren't. Can anyone please help?

2. qma thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently the problem lies in the fact that iTunes doesn't recognize the apps: when listing all the apps in iTunes, about half of them half an exclamation mark next to them and I need to select the app file. The files are still all there, in the same app folder among the other apps that iTunes does find but somehow they got 'unlinked' in iTunes. Is there any way to have iTunes automatically find back all the apps instead of manually finding the right file for the right app (there are a few hundred unlinked)?
    Thanks

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Same problem here when I restored my ipad last week (itchy fingers really; it had been a bit sluggish of late and I wanted to see if a reboot could speed things up). Had to redownload all my apps, but at least IOS "remembers" the folders and arrangement they were in, plus all my content remained intact.