iPhone 4S Sales To Skyrocket After Steve Jobs Death?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eleer, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Eleer, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

Eleer macrumors newbie

Eleer

A question like this during the very sad and unfortunate news of his death is probably the last thing anyone wants to think of right now. Though if you take a minute, step back, and look at what this means for the Apple company, do you believe iPhone 4S sales will skyrocket since the sad news of Steve's death?

From a personal standpoint I believe so. Personally, I was going to get an iPhone 4S and jump ship from my Blackberry, though I was skeptical. Now after Steve's death I find myself wanting to get the iPhone 4S even more and without hesitation--I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Back to topic, though; Do you believe 4S sales will go off the shelves like hotcakes even more-so now that Steve has passed?

P.S. To the greatest inventor of our time, rest in peace Steve Jobs, and thank you! I am privileged to say I am typing this using my Apple computer. God bless you, and thanks again.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

People let emotions drive them to do irrational things, who can say. Could swing either way.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It went from an "eh, maybe" to a must have for me. For some reason although I can't prove it, I feel as if Jobs would at least have some sort of input over the device, moreso than the iPhone 5, and i'd like to experience the last "hurrah".

Plus many are already dubbing it the iPhone 4Steve lol.

4. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

some sort of input? Im sure he had almost all the input. He didnt step down that long ago. The phone has to have been nearly finalized by then, and he didnt just disappear either...he probably saw it through to the end. The iPhone 5 could potentially be changed drastically between now and release, particularly without steves influence as chairman of the board (though I hope and believe they will try to incorporate as many of his ideas and wishes into the device as possible, out of respect), the iPhone 4s will be the last apple device that was truly his. Maybe thats why he lasted until the day after he was announced, to see one final apple product through.

5. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

The answer is yes, undoubtedly so. It's a great phone to begin with, this will just push some people over the edge.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

iPhone 5 = 4S

iPhone 6, we've seen with larger display, tapered Al rear, he set the direction for if all the prototypes are as far along as leaks have suggested. It will still be his.

7. applefan289 macrumors 68000

My guess is it probably will skyrocket sales.

But I think what happened here is he probably passed away before the keynote, but they didn't want to leak the news until after...it would have been awkward for Apple as a whole to announce the news and then give a keynote on a new iPhone...

But back to the point, yes I think sales will increase. I was planning the buy the 4S anyway though.

8. tmagman macrumors 6502

9. bryanjc macrumors regular

It's the most succesful handset in the world, and will continue to be.

:apple:

10. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Weirdly I was also wondering if I should get the phone. But now he has passed away and I want to get it. Bit weird I know xP

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Absolutely.

History teaches us that when a famous person dies, the merchandise that relates to this person sells in massive quantities for a period of time.

I do believe that if this same phenomenon occurs, the iPhone 4s may be the largest selling iPhone of all time. It will also be the hardest to obtain for quite some time.

12. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

You are seriously, really reaching here.

The man died, let's not try to shoehorn it into a phone information forum.

Might as well of asked, Do you think the Next Unix computer line will be resurrected because of Job's death?

13. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

You are seriously, really shortsighted apparently. Yes, iPhone 4S sales will increase dramatically due to his death. Such is the way of people.

14. rml4uk macrumors member

If other people are anything like me, I think his death will directly relate to more sales than there would have been had he not just passed away.

Personally, I was completely let down by the 4S announcement and as soon as I got off work on Tuesday I went straight to AT&T and used my upgrade to get the Samsung Galaxy S II. I was already "bored" with the design of iPhone 4 by this past Spring and wanted nothing to do with a new iPhone that was so similar to the previous one. I must say that I have been enamored with Apple and their products since even before I got my iPod with the Touch Wheel (not click wheel) in 2003 and I have owned and loved every version of the iPhone up to this point - so that tells you how underwhelmed I was with the 4S announcment.

However, after the announcment of Steve's death, I feel compelled to get the 4S now. I don't know if it's because I feel like I "owe it to Steve", which is ridiculous, or if I just want it because it is the last version to be released while he was alive. I can't explain it, but the feeling is there. Like me, I bet there a lot of people out there who had written the 4S off, but are now considering it because its creator is gone.

In the grand scheme of things, none of this matters compared to the loss of a life. That being said, my thoughts and prayers are with the Jobs family.

15. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

How so?

Someone actually posted that because someone died, a large group of people, who were not interested before, will rise up and buy a $300 piece of electronics with a 2 year contract.

And then, people actually replied to it like it was a valid idea.

I give up.

16. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

I'm one of those that was thinking of holding on to my 4 for a bit but since his passing I've decided to move with the 4S. For me, it's an ode to him. Kind of like, "One more for the road". This feels like the final product with his direct involvement in it and for that, as a sign of loyalty and gratitude for everything he contributed, he will have it from me. Everything else from here on out will only be a product of the spirit he left in the organization, and it may not quite be the same. I wasn't there to support him in the beginning...but I'll be there in the end...

17. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Obvious evidence aside (you know, all the people POSTING on these forums that they were on the fence before but now definitely are buying), human beings are sentimental creatures and will ascribe a certain added value to the last iPhone of the Steve Jobs era. Take, for example, Sublime. Their lead singer died a month before their major label release, and now they are forever immortalized.

It's no longer just a $300 piece of electronics, it's almost a commemorative item.

18. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Buying a phone does nothing to offer some kind of tribute. IMO.

19. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I wanted to get a 4S anyway, point is moot with that.

20. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

C/S. Although I feel that the 5 is already ready (blueprint wise), and it will be the last hurrah.
    Probably won't get the S on launch, but will do. :apple:

21. Eleer thread starter macrumors newbie

Eleer

Good, please give up; that means I won't have to read another ignorant post again.

----------

Great post. You and I are in the same boat. Thanks everyone for the replies! I was just curious as to what everyone thought about this.