Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I've had the 4S since launch, with very little issues, but out of the blue yesterday, I got a popup which said SIM failure and then in top left said invalid SIM. Restarting would fix it, but anything from 5 minutes to an hour later, would happen again.

It happened on 5.1 (yes, beta) and on 5.0.1. I know there was an issue with this before, but I assumed the people that had it, had it from the start, as opposed to random onset after 2 months or so like me....

Should I just head to orange and try and get a new SIM or take it to the Apple Store for them to check it out?

Last edited:

sgjohnston

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
Probably just a broken SIM - we've had several over the years. I would go back to Orange, they should just replace it.

Thai4s

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did you check the sim? Does it seem to be anything wrong with it?

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did you check the sim? Does it seem to be anything wrong with it?

It looks relatively ok but has slight streaks on it

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
My suggestion would be, if not already disabled to disable sim lock. That seems to have fixed the issue for most i know that had this problem.

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
My suggestion would be, if not already disabled to disable sim lock. That seems to have fixed the issue for most i know that had this problem.

I assume you mean SIM PIN, not SIM lock? It's not on. Was one of the first things I checked before resorting clean install.

Anyway, been to Apple Store, they checked it out and phone is fine, it's the SIM, as they put it in a 4 with same problem.

Annoyingly the Orange shop wont replace faulty SIMs in store, so had to phone up and they're sending via royal mail.

Thanks for the help peeps

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
That's rather annoying. You'd think the shops would have SIMs on-hand, seeing as they're presumably activating new phones there all the time.

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
That's rather annoying. You'd think the shops would have SIMs on-hand, seeing as they're presumably activating new phones there all the time.

Yea I know! I knew O2 did it. Orange don't. Gotta wait 3-5 days for the SIM the. Phone then up for the switchover! It could be sorted there and then if they sorted instore!

Stig1990

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Highbridge, UK
I've had the 4S since launch, with very little issues, but out of the blue yesterday, I got a popup which said SIM failure and then in top left said invalid SIM. Restarting would fix it, but anything from 5 minutes to an hour later, would happen again.

It happened on 5.1 (yes, beta) and on 5.0.1. I know there was an issue with this before, but I assumed the people that had it, had it from the start, as opposed to random onset after 2 months or so like me....

Should I just head to orange and try and get a new SIM or take it to the Apple Store for them to check it out?

Thats really strange i got my 4s the day it came out aswel my mine also started having the exact same problem pretty much around the exact same date that yours has.

There are plenty of people reporting this issue so i find it hard to beileve that loads of people have dodgy sim cards, but on the other hand most other forums ive read people have said they have had the problem since day 1. Since the end of december mine comes up with the failure around 2 times everyday, sometimes it could be 3 or 4, or even just the once.

I spose i should go to vodafone to get a new sim card first and see if that fixes it, it really find it bad on apples part that they cannot even release a statement about the issue. Im just hoping with my fingers crossed that its not a hardware problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.