iPhone 4S Slow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Burntfender, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Burntfender macrumors member

I've had an iPhone 4S since it came out- and I honestly cannot notice any difference in speed and performance. In fact in some cases it is slower than my iPhone 4- but it is DEFINITELY slower than my brothers iPhone 4S.

Does anyone else notice this at all?
    Im thinking it could have something to do with the fact that I have been using the same iTunes sync since 2008 when I got my 1st iPhone, and have updated all my new phones to the backups of all the previous iPhones I've had.
    I recently deleted ALOT of unused apps, but still notice no difference.
    Any help?

2. Chalifornia macrumors newbie

I used my first 4s for about 4 months (bought about 2 weeks after release) and just 'felt' that it wasn't right. What really decided it was a side by side comparison between mine and a colleague's 4s in the settings app. Mine was about a quarter of the speed going through some menus. It would also crash out of the settings app, and other built in apps. It felt as though there was a memory cell that was faulty, and as soon as the phone reached that level something crashed. The battery life felt as though the phone was still awake all the time, resulting in about half the advertised battery life.
    I took it back and was given a replacement which is masses better and 'feels" right; it rarely, if ever, crashes and the battery lasts much longer than before.

3. jcpb macrumors 6502a

4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Have you removed all the apps from the recently used app list and turned the phone off and on? (Not a reset, just turn it off)

6. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Won't change a thing, closing all the apps. That's how apple designed multitasking, to not interfere or reduce performance.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

They use RAM in the background. It's quite clear if you ever opened up a bunch of apps and then try moving around the system quickly.

--

OP, have you tried restoring your device AS NEW or talking to Apple about it?

8. viperGTS macrumors 65816

LOL, I have noticed that actually.

Part of me just wants to believe that apple's multitasking doesn't impact performance i guess... :D:p

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

Of course that's how they designed it, but the apps are in the background. Whether thy're running or not is up for debate, but the fact that you can get back to them quickly where you left off means they're in the background using SOME amount of system resources.

10. Burntfender thread starter macrumors member

I have closed all apps, deleted ALOT of them do that I have like 5GB spare, have turned the phone off and on, have done a hard reset, and a restore. Still the same.
    I haven't talked to Apple about it cause I was wondering of it was something experienced by others. I too am fairly unimpressed with the battery as well- probably a little worse than my 4.

11. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Perhaps you really had a faulty device. I'm already moaning over the headaching speed of my iPhone 4 and I was surprised when I saw your thread!
    There might be some instances where perhaps the A5 chip in your phone isn't performing as well as it should. Maybe a hardware issue. Given that the 4S is not even a year old, I shall assume your contract and warranty still warrants you for support from Apple. The best help you could get is from the company itself.

Or maybe, and I said maybe. You want to try out iOS 6 when it comes out. Perhaps somehow it will fix it! But the best solution would be to go to Apple. Period.

And no. The 4S had favourable reviews over its fast speed as far as I know and come across. If you're experiencing lag over your phone, its certainly an isolated case.

12. viperGTS macrumors 65816

I would suggest fully restoring your phone. If you have been using the same backup since 2008, and constantly back up over it, then of course you will experience sluggishness.

First backup, restore, and set up as new. Try it out for a day and let us know how the phone performs.

That is why your phone is performing bad.

13. cynics macrumors G3

Download and run linpack benchmark. We can compare to our test run.... Don't know if that would be useful or not.

14. batting1000 macrumors 604

You may have restored it, but haven't set it up as new WITHOUT restoring to the back up. Your backups could be slowing the phone done. Storage space shouldn't really effect the device speed so deleting apps is a waste of time.