iPhone 4S sometimes thinks it has no wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by terraphantm, Dec 27, 2011.

1. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

This happened twice so far. My iPhone will lock up at a black screen and not respond to anything. When I hard reboot it, it'll say "no wifi" - as in it thinks the hardware isn't there. If I look up the Mac address, it just says n/a. It fixes itself after I reboot again

Here's a shot of what it looks like

[​IMG]

Does this happen to anyone else? Or is there something wrong with my 4S?

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

That is odd. I would have it checked out by the apple store.

3. terraphantm thread starter macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thing is, I have no idea what triggers it. I can't replicate it at will

4. terraphantm thread starter macrumors 68040

Well I took it to the genius bar and they swapped it right out. I was expecting to have to argue a little since it usually fixed itself upon rebooting (in the past they've refused to replace phones because a reboot would fix whatever issue it was exhibiting).

Since no one else seemed to have the issue, I guess mine was a hardware issue (probably a weak solder joint somewhere).

5. milani macrumors 68000

milani

My iPhone 3G had this problem once (a couple years ago). I just reset the phone (turned it off and on) and the problem never occurred again. I remember posting about it here and no one had any idea what would cause the problem. I suspect it's a faulty wi-fi antenna.

6. terraphantm thread starter macrumors 68040

Well in this case it happened twice within 2 weeks or so for me, I didn't want to risk permanently losing WiFi (especially since there were other glitches with it, like iMessage not working properly).

As a perk, this new phone is still at 5.0 (instead of 5.0.1) so I might be able to unlock it if the dev-team is successful with their current efforts!

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I had this same problem with my 4S about two weeks ago, but it only happened to me once/

I'm keeping an eye on it and if it happens again, I'm going to the Apple Store for a swap-out.

8. jonter19 macrumors member

Something similar has happened to me. In my case, it seems to happen when the phone is locked.

I can be on WiFi at my house, lock the phone, then turn it back on and it will be on 3G. When I go in settings, it makes as if there is no WiFi hotspot anywhere near. The WiFi field is empty. Usually flipping WiFi off and back on fixes the problem.

I wouldn't consider this a major problem, especially since I can fix it so easily. But it is a little annoying at times. This is only happened maybe 3 or 4 times since I've had the 4S. If it persists, I may swing by the Apple Store.