iPhone 4S - Speaker Won't Make Sound?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 999blb, Mar 28, 2013.

1. 999blb macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    Last night, I was FaceTiming a friend of mine, and her voice stopped coming through my speaker. I thought of it as a joke, as she always mutes herself for no reason, but the problem is, she didn't. My speaker wouldn't make sound whatsoever, no ringtones/alarms, music, etc. Nothing out the bulit-in speaker, but the microphone and ear piece speaker still work.

I read that the phone may have thought it was a dock model, I tried that, and when I unlocked it, it made sound, but then it stopped again. I cleaned out the connector and headphone jack after this, still no sound. I left it charge in the dock over night; once again, it made the unlock and lock sound when I did so to the device, tried playing music, stopped working again. I have paired it with an FM Transmitter in my mom's car, so I'll have to try doing that once she's back from work.

My warranty recently ran out last month, so if I were to take this into Apple, I would have to pay them for the replacement part, or another phone from them. I already went in once for a No Service issue back in December. It's kind of funny seeing how every product after Steve Jobs has more issues than the ones with him. My iPod Touches (2G and 4G) never had a problem. Never had to go to an Apple Store to get them fixed, but the new products seem more apt that you'll eventually have to go into one for an issue.

I don't know how this happened to it, or how to try fixing it before having to go to my last resort, going to an Apple Store. I'd rather try getting it to work, than have to pay for a new one.

Thanks everyone for the help.

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Try a restore as new to rule out software issues (BACKUP YOUR STUFF FIRST!!)

If not try taking it to the apple store and see what they can do. I think there is a chance the OOW replacement fee could be waived so soon after the warranty ending if there is a hardware problem.

Also the stab at apple relating to Steve jobs at the end of your post is completely unnecessary and people here are probably much less likely to offer you help when you try to incite the forums like that.