iPhone 4S static/buzzing/crackling - How come hardly anyone hears it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rsxmachine, Nov 11, 2011.

1. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

Here is a video I made this morning of the 3g buzzing. Its so loud the video picks it up in the background. This is my second iphone 4S. I am trying my luck again today at apple store. I really believe all of the phones have it but there is a degree of how bad this sound is.

my youtube video (please be sure to increase your volume) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Vg7NNQ1zk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

apple forums about this issue and how even with replacements the issue is not fixed : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3393647

Everyone, please listen to your phone is a very quiet environment over 3g (no wifi) and run something like google maps to 3g is collecting data.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If I have to go to extremes to replicate an issue that isn't bothering me currently, then I have no reason to hunt for it

3. rsxmachine thread starter macrumors 6502

going to extremes is not necessary, I hear this on all my calls whenever I am indoors since the background noise is fairly low. Its extremely annoying and frustrating.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I've got sensitive hearing and I hear it plain as day on mine. Its kind of a constant intermittent buzz of three or four bursts.

I can also hear the dimmer switch buzzing in the living room when its on dim and I can tell if the TV is on standby when im in the room next door (if its quiet).

Weird I know, but its true. :eek:

5. rsxmachine thread starter macrumors 6502

based on the response rate of this thread, I have to assume that I have just been receiving defective phones.

6. Mr. Synch macrumors newbie

7. Juvenile macrumors member

Problematic Static

Wow! 48 pages of responses on the apple forums.

I surprised this isn't being talked about more on here. I noticed this issue last night on my 4s and found this thread.

8. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I have sensitive hearing and hear it too

I just live with it - phone is great otherwise

Having sensitive hearing really does suck. I hear loads of annoying things most peoople dont

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's never really bothered me because I've never really heard a completely silent 3G phone. they've all provided at least some level of sidetone and white noise for comfort purposes.

10. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

did you watch the video above? that aint no comfort noise bro

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

I suffered through two months of this exact problem with the 4s.

Static noise. Not hearing ringing tones when dialing and than all of the sudden someone picks up phone with a single ringing tone.

My battery life sucked too. Last straw was when it was dead at 1330 when it was fully charged at 530am. Used it for 4.5 hours with rest in standby. So 4.5 hours use. 3.5 hours standby on wifi. No stream. Text email internet.

Got phone replaced. No more static noise. Actually dial tone and ringing on all my phone calls.

Battery life better too. Currently at 6.5 hours use. 6.5 hours standby.

12. glhughes macrumors regular

I have had 4 iPhone 4S's and they have all exhibited this issue (2 new retail, 2 replacements; 3 were 32GB, 1 was a 64GB). In my opinion, this issue is ubiquitous with the 4S and the people that claim not to have the issue actually do but simply cannot hear it. There is speculation that it is due to the new radio chip (GSM + CDMA) that is being used in the phones.

For this reason and issues finding a 4S with a good screen, I bought an iPhone 4 instead and it does not exhibit this problem.

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

Maybe.

But the iPhone 4 (gsm) has the horrible sensor issue. Can't ever win with iPhones.

iPhone 2007 (poor RF due to aluminum back)
    iPhone 2008 (3G) poor gps/ wifi chip
    iPhone 3GS (weak GPS). Actually the best built model
    iPhone 4 (sensor and or antenna issue)
    iPhone 4s (static noise/poor battery issues)

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I did, and it wasn't anything I haven't heard before.

Oh, and I'm not your bro.

15. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

i dont get this noise on my phone when 3g is on. Its not on the iphone 4 or 3gs either.

if it was intentional white noise surely it would be there whether 3g is on or off? it appears the noise happens only when there's data streaming on 3g.

You sound like a fanboy making excuses

16. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

Glad I am not the only one. Static I can live with because it might be reception issue (AT&T) but what makes me worried is when I receive a phone call the first second or two the sound is VERY loud. People tell me I cringe just before I answer. I explain that I prepare myself for that loud first word caller utters. After first word sound goes back to normal. Anybody else have that issue as well?

17. Azadre macrumors 6502

i ended up returning my iphone 4s because of this. Unfortunately, at&t now refuses to reverse my upgrade eligibility. I am using an unlocked nokia for now. It's not an iPhone, but it works as a phone.

18. DroidRules macrumors 65816

That sounds like typical 3g sound interference to me.

If you're not happy take it back and see what apple will do for you.... easy fix.

19. Azadre macrumors 6502

My sound was less of a buzzing and more of a intermittent crackling pop.

20. crimedog73 macrumors newbie

Static / Crackling / Buzzing

I have the same thing on an iPhone 4S. And, whoever said that it is the typical 3G noise: it's not the noise that you normally hear when you are near speakers. I've heard that noise many times. It's a different noise coming through the earpiece of the phone. It's intermittent and sounds like a bee buzzing, or something like that anyways. I am contemplateing taking it to the Apple store, as some have said that they recently got an exchange and the noise is gone. However, many have said that they have gotten multiple exchanges and have the same issue. So, I'm not sure what to do. I have no other problems with this one and am afraid that I will get one with other/worse problems. Especially, because I'm pretty sure that one would get a refurb phone at this point and not a new one. :(

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I did, and I'll gladly admit I'm wrong. It's just unfortunate that people are so willing to insult when someone is offering what they THOUGHT it was, not an excuse.

22. crimedog73 macrumors newbie

I did not mean any disrespect by that comment. It was meant for information only. I was actually responding to when DroidRules had said "That sounds like typical 3g sound interference to me". Just couldn't remember where I saw it, even though it was only 2 posts above me. Can't ever find something when I need to. Anyways, I'll always take advice into consideration. Again, no disrespect intended and sorry if it came off that way. :):)

23. samven582 macrumors 6502a

File a compliant with the Better Business Bureau. This will force AT&T to reverse your upgrade and contract