iPhone 4S steel band

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mustu, Nov 5, 2011.

1. mustu macrumors 6502

Hi All

I got my 64GB iPhone from the Apple store in the UK on launch day and I have noticed that the steel band had some shiny marks on the it. Its about and inch and a half lower that the volume keys.

This is my 6th replacement on the same day as the others had 1 or more dead pixels. Plus there was one with a chip in the steel band and one with a small tiny hole in the steel band....

I am thinking to change it :) as I like my phones mark less but I prefer them with out dead pixels..... too..... so it s a chance...

What do you think... are the marks on the steel band common.

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I would much rather have a shiny mark on the steel band then get a replacement which probably has more important issues.

3. mustu thread starter macrumors 6502

4. kolax macrumors G3

The stainless steel band will get slightly scratched overtime anyway. In fact, if you stick a bumper or case on it, it'll get scratched. Sounds like you are being too picky..

5. mustu thread starter macrumors 6502

wow

wow really? you guys think I am being picky if I got a new phone like that:confused:

6. kolax macrumors G3

Well, I can't see the phones that you aren't happy with. But if they are very minor marks on the steel band, it's pretty picky..

There's people who return MacBook Pro's because there's a tiny scratch on the base of it.

7. mustu thread starter macrumors 6502

ok

well I do get your point......

Thing is I would rather have the mark than a dead pixel :) or some other issue.

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

So you don't think this might be a bit excessive compulsive?

9. MPScan macrumors newbie

MPScan

Considering that Apple utilizes a Six Sigma approach to manufacturing, the chances of a single person getting six phones all with defects is literally impossible.

You have a better chance of winning ten million bucks in the lottery, and then walking out the door after collecting your winnings, you get struck by lightning.

It's you. Not the phone(s).

10. mustu thread starter macrumors 6502

well please....

Apple does use a good quality control but thats for the computers.

I am sure you don't look for dead pixels. Please download the app flashlight and have a look and see if you find any. I am in charge of QC as well of a company which is owned my family and our products are used in critical applications like oil and gas rigs etc.... where an error can mean a disaster.

I have multiple mac's, apple tv's iPad's iPod's and other iPhones none of which were replaced....

maybe just some back luck.....

11. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

YES:eek:

You are one of many OCD iPhone owners that raise the cost of our devices with petty stuff like a tiny shiny spot on the steel band. :eek:

How old are you?:rolleyes:

I also say you are BSing us on 6 replacements in a day.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That's the second microphone. :rolleyes:

14. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah, I think so too. The Apple Store wouldn't swap six of them in a row (they have a no dead-pixel policy on the iPhone 4 however, but for the faintest scuffs on the steel-band, no swaps after a couple). Any phone shop would give up after swapping twice I'd guess.

15. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

For your next replacement just keep it in the box... then you'll have no problems.

16. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

First thing I did when I got my iPhone was check for dead/stuck pixels. There aren't any. Apple has a zero tolerance policy for pixel defects in iPhones (more tolerance for larger displays).

17. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Absolutely. Six replacements and now you're worried about a tiny shiny spot on the steel band?

Get outside and get some fresh air. Get some exercise in. If you're still feeling the same way, seek professional help.

18. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I think you need to see a doctor. Seriously.

19. brand macrumors 601

brand

The most asinine thing you have said yet.

20. GerMo macrumors member

I totally understand your case. If you don't feel comfortable with it, replace it, without a doubt. Don't forget, this phone will stick with you everyday for the next year or even more.

To all those saying that he's being too picky, I disagree. He is just requiring perfection. Something you would expect from such an expensive product, as I would too.

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Are there scratches in Apples commercials? Any nicks on the bands at all?

No.

You are not picky for wanting to exchange/replace/return a BRAND NEW phone with a scratch/nick on the steel band.

Don't let anyone here tell you any different.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Edit-reminds me of another issue with yellow tinted screens.

Every single display iPhone 4 had a blue tinted screen. Then the new ones started appearing yellow. Why should yours have a yellow screen when all the displays are blue?

22. kolax macrumors G3

Is the world perfect?

No.

23. GerMo macrumors member

It's not about the world being perfect or not. It's about whether something is right or wrong. You buy a product, and you expect it to be the way it should be. The phone is produced in assembly lines, not handmade. They should be very much identical from phone to phone.
    Also, if you always say, "is the world perfect?" then would you buy a car, and see a scratch on the paint and say, the world isn't perfect, and leave it? No. I'm sure not.

24. maclook macrumors 65816

It's hard to sympathize with you unless you post pictures. You could very well have had 6 terrible quality iPhones but nobody knows that and will assume you're being picky. Take pics, my friend.

25. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Exactly what I was typing haha.

Say you are watching the football game and a commercial for Nike cleats come on. You go to the store, and you buy a pair. Get home, there is a scratch on them.

You gonna keep them? No. Because new shoes should never have scratches. Just like new clothes should never have stains or holes. So should a new iPhone that YOU SPENT 250-1000$ have scratches or nicks? No.