iPhone 4S Stolen While Overseas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob616, Jul 11, 2012.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

I just came back from a trip to Europe where unfortunately my iPhone 4S was stolen. The phone was locked with a passcode and was in Airplane mode with all the radios turned off. It is running the lasts version of iOS 5.1.1. There is no way for me to locate it with find my iPhone, but I sent a wipe command just in case. I have two concerns though. First is there any way for the thief to get access to my phone (I would assume it would require some sort of jailbreak). And second, when I do end up getting a replacement iPhone what do I do about deactivating iMessaging/FaceTime on the old iPhone? Do I even need to worry about that?

Thank you for the help!

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I highly doubt the thief cares about the information all they want to do is sell the phone for a quick buck or two. The information is pretty much much meaningless to them.

There's nothing you can do the phone has probably been restored already. Just forget about it and buy a new phones.

3. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

+1
    Yeah check the new S3 after the iphone 5 release, it was time for a change thought.

4. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

From my understanding the iPhone can not be restored if it is protected with a passcode.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Just move on and change your Apple ID password, along with all other email and website passwords (the Safari cache may still have those stored on the stolen device).

And there are hacks and programs all over the place that will let someone retrieve your data even if locked. Even our own police departments have this ability. But unless you are a big world leader, nobody is likely to do that. They just want a quick buck and won't bother. Might want to warn your lady/guy friend if you had any "spicy" photos on there.....

And yes, you can restore any iDevice even if locked. You just have to place it in recovery mode first. Thieves wouldn't bother stealing iPhones if they can't fence/use them. Once in recovery mode you just connect to iTunes and restore as normal. This obviously wipes the phone....likely done within minutes/hours of getting it from you.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

But it can be DFU restored.