Iphone 4S storage used different from actual

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aphexacid, Dec 30, 2011.

1. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I just got my replacement 4S, installed 5.01, and wiped the phone clean after (with the built in erase phone option)

All i have done is fetched my contacts from iCloud, i took 6 pictures, and put about 20 apps on.

In the "usage" section of the phone settings, it says im using 822MB. i thought that was odd, so i calculated and its somewhere around 350MB.

Lets even give it 500 MB of usage, which its not. Where is the rest of the "usage" coming from?

Does anyone know what a complete empty iphone 4S 16GB says in the "usage"section for starage?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I pressed show all apps, and then just added up all of the sizes that it showed....with a calculator lol

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That doesn't show the caches, media artwork, photo database, other settings, and operating system files.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Operating system files and so on. The stuff you don't see, but need to run the phone.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

The OS is probably a good chunk of it, isn't it?

7. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I thought the photos are compressed on the iPhone. I know my photos are huge, and there is no way that they take up that little space w/o some compression.

8. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

What caches etc could there possibly be? I did a clean install, and transferred over 20 apps. The only one i've even opened so far is my bank of america app.

400MB of caches??

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They're not all caches. Most of it is the operating system on the phone. You know, iOS and all it's default apps?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS lives on its own partition and its set to read only. Its used space does not show in Settings or iTunes.

Have you ever looked at the true contents of the /var/ partition on a jailbroken iDevice? There's a lot of stuff in there. Every little setting, detail, picture, or other user altered thing is stored on the /var/ partition and counts towards the total used space.

11. aphexacid thread starter macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I dunno, maybe i never noticed it before. its not THAT big of a deal as long as its not some weird phantom thing thats going to continue eating away.

If you guys think its normal, then screw it!

thanks!