iPhone 4S to India

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by g37roadracerrr, Jun 17, 2012.

1. g37roadracerrr macrumors newbie

Hello,

I will be traveling to India for 2.5 weeks. I want to use my verizon iPhone 4S while I am there for data, calls, and texts...but I do not want to be charged the outrageous fees by verizon.

I am thinking an option is to purchase a sim card while in India and use a prepaid amount of service? What steps should I take to do this? Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

CMDA phones (at least in the US) do not use sim cards. I'm not sure purchasing a prepaid sim card and putting it into the 4s will do anything for you.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Call Verizon and ask them to unlock the gsm side of your 4S.
    If they don't you won't be able to use another carriers sim.

4. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I've gone to India with a colleague on Verizon with a 4S, and it worked flawlessly. He called Verizon late last year (when 4S was finally out), and got the GSM side unlocked. In India, he got a micro-sim from Vodafone (or Airtel, I forget), and was able to use it on their network, pre-paid. His Verizon side didn't work there (well, they do have a CDMA network there, but I don't think you can connect to it)

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

As others have said, if it's an iPhone 4S it does have a sim card slot regardless of what service provider. Verizon can unlock the iPhone 4S. Once it is unlocked, you can then insert a local sim card and use their network. However it won't work with AT&T or T-mobile in U.S.

6. g37roadracerrr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your replies.

1. Do you have any idea how much the SIM costs in India?
    2. What happens when I return? Do I simply replace my verizon card back into the iPhone?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

1. You will have to check when you get to india for local prices and packages or contact friends or family there for details.
    2. All you have to do is take out the India carrier sim and stick your old one back.

8. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

Sims and plans in India are usually very cheap. You shouldn't have to spend very much, especially if you don't want data access.

9. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

The sims aren't that expensive and data rates are reasonable. I did this for my mom about 8 months back. The only thing is that you will have to take your passport with you or get a relative who is an Indian citizen to buy one for you.

Yea I believe you just remove the sim and you should be back on Verizon when you get here.

10. romiebleed macrumors member

The Sim cards are very very very cheap. You will get a prepaid Airtel/Aircel/Vodacom sim for less than 50 cents. Top it up with 2$ i.e 100 INR and you can last for weeks. :)