Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olletsocmit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
USA
I have a iPhone 4S right now and really like the 5... But is it worth it??? My friends all have 5's and I love them.. But is it just cuz they have 4g??

I have unlimited data and if I do get a 5.. I will buy it at cost to keep my unlimited data.

My question is... Worth spending $600 now or $600 in 6 months when there is a new 5S out (if its called that)?

Would you spend that kinda money to go from a 4S to a 5 now or wait??

I know there are lots of spec threads out there, but what would u all do

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
If you are dead set on upgrading, I would wait.
The jump from 4S to the 5 is not worth it in my opinion, especially not at full cost.
5S might not even really be worth it, but at least it will be "more worth it" I suppose.
What you would be upgrading to primarily is the taller screen, AT&T has HSPA+ which is pretty darn good and don't think you'd see much difference between that an LTE.

Do they not let you keep the unlimited if you upgrade? I assumed that was just putting you back onto a contract to where there's a potential cancellation fee (if you decide to leave) - didn't think it would have any affect on your plan though. Not sure how that all works, really.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
4S to 5 is definitely worth it, much moreso than the 4 to 4S. But since you've waited this long and you'll be buying unsubsidised, I'd wait for the 5S.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I'm thinking of having chicken or steak for dinner tonight. Any advice? I can't make this decision on my own.

Also, 2-ply or 3-ply? Is it worth the extra money?

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
If you are dead set on upgrading, I would wait.
The jump from 4S to the 5 is not worth it in my opinion, especially not at full cost.
5S might not even really be worth it, but at least it will be "more worth it" I suppose.
What you would be upgrading to primarily is the taller screen, AT&T has HSPA+ which is pretty darn good and don't think you'd see much difference between that an LTE.

Do they not let you keep the unlimited if you upgrade? I assumed that was just putting you back onto a contract to where there's a potential cancellation fee (if you decide to leave) - didn't think it would have any affect on your plan though. Not sure how that all works, really.

He has Verizon.

Verizon 3G vs Verizon LTE= Masive difference.

OP I would upgrade. You can sell your 4S for a pretty dime and the at-cost upgrade will be less than you expect.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
what the heck you guys
this is not the thread for me. </3

I still wouldn't upgrade until the 5S, even with Verizon.

and on top of that, I would go with Chicken.
I come visit the iPhone section just oneeee time, see what it's all about, and i am an outcast. I'm going back to the Marketplace. <3

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
I changed from the 4s to the 5 only because it didn't cost me. I would not have changed other wise as the 5 is no better the the 4s the battery life still sucks and some Apps like TomTom start up slower on the 5. The black 5 feels cheap compared to the 4s. I use my iPad 4 4g a lot more and only use the 5 for phone calls, texts and hot spot when overseas.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Same as poster above, I went from 4S to 5 and it cost me $5 and a change in mobile carrier to a cheaper cost plan almost identical to the older plan. A great phone but not worth the cost buying it outright compared to keeping the 4S.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I went to the 5, b/c I needed to upgrade to the lighting charger since my kid has an ipad mini and I was always carrying two different type of chargers everywhere we went when I had the 4S. Sold my 4S and made up for the monies and after all got my t-mobile iPhone 5 on credit with a $200 deposit. I'm happy, can not be happier. :)

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
I'm thinking of having chicken or steak for dinner tonight. Any advice? I can't make this decision on my own.

Also, 2-ply or 3-ply? Is it worth the extra money?

Lol not cool..

----------

I have a 4s and I thought about upgrading with the 5s but I'm not. I like my 4s the only problem I had is when I dropped it and the screen cracked. Other than that still love it and have no plans to upgrade right now. As for you like some of had said just wait for the 5s.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I was planning on waiting for the 5s since my launch day 4s will be eligible for an upgrade in a couple weeks, figured may as well wait for the 5s...but then I thought if I just go ahead amd upgrade to the 5, I can skip the predictable 5s and get excited for the six which will probably come out around 18 months from now...

this is of course assuming att keeos the 18 month upgrade and doesnt pull vzws 24 month bs

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I wish this question was asked more often we don't really see it very much here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.