Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelica314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm wanting to upgrade from the iPhone 4s to the Moto X and wanted to know if it would be a worthy change?

My main concern with the X is the camera which I hear is its worst feature. Has anyone had experience with both phones to compare the camera's quality of pictures (I'm mainly concerned with sharpness/clarity of photos) ?

The iPhone 4s' camera is not very good in my opinion so even if the Moto X's is slightly better I'd switch over.

Thank you!

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Hi everyone. I'm wanting to upgrade from the iPhone 4s to the Moto X and wanted to know if it would be a worthy change?

My main concern with the X is the camera which I hear is its worst feature. Has anyone had experience with both phones to compare the camera's quality of pictures (I'm mainly concerned with sharpness/clarity of photos) ?

The iPhone 4s' camera is not very good in my opinion so even if the Moto X's is slightly better I'd switch over.

Thank you!

I had a 4S, but that was a while ago. I also had the Moto X for about a week. Part of the reason I sent it back was because of the camera. It is awful in low light. And if I remember correctly, the 4S was the first to include a backlit sensor to improve low light images. If a good camera is part of your checklist, I am not sure the Moto X will fulfill.

Are you on a CDMA carrier? If not, have you considered a Nexus 5? It doesn't feel as good in the hand as the Moto X, but it does have a slightly better camera.

angelica314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
I had a 4S, but that was a while ago. I also had the Moto X for about a week. Part of the reason I sent it back was because of the camera. It is awful in low light. And if I remember correctly, the 4S was the first to include a backlit sensor to improve low light images. If a good camera is part of your checklist, I am not sure the Moto X will fulfill.

Are you on a CDMA carrier? If not, have you considered a Nexus 5? It doesn't feel as good in the hand as the Moto X, but it does have a slightly better camera.

Thank you. No, I'm on AT&T Prepaid but I'm looking to switch over to Net10. I've considered the Nexus 5 but doesn't seem worth it for only a slightly better camera than the X so I was preferring the X due to the better battery.

Which android would you recommend that's similar to the Nexus 5 / Moto X with a great camera and good battery life?

Thanks again.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Thank you. No, I'm on AT&T Prepaid but I'm looking to switch over to Net10. I've considered the Nexus 5 but doesn't seem worth it for only a slightly better camera than the X so I was preferring the X due to the better battery.

Which android would you recommend that's similar to the Nexus 5 / Moto X with a great camera and good battery life?

Thanks again.

I bought a Moto X while I had a Nexus 5 hoping to see a battery improvement and I actually found the Nexus 5 to have better battery life. Part of it was because the Nexus 5 is so easy to root and install battery apps that need root to help you figure out what is draining it.

Another example is idle battery drain. To test it, I just left the Moto X unplugged all night. When I woke up, it was at 91%. Which was pretty good. But on my Nexus 5 with Franco Kernel, it was at 96% after leaving it unplugged all night.

As for SOT, they are pretty similar. But I think the Nexus 5 has the potential for better idle drain. That and easy root makes it easier to troubleshoot and improve battery life.

My biggest features when looking for a phone are battery life and camera. And after using both, I am glad I stuck with the Nexus 5.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
I won't tell you if it fits you or not, but I'll tell you my experience coming from an iPhone 5.

First of all I LOVE active notifications. I can't express it enough, I love that feat. Picking your phone and it displaying notifications and the hour for you, without touching a thing is really handy. That feat alone makes all other phones feel like dumb, old devices.

The always listening one is neat, but not as helpful as I would imagine. But it has nothing to do with it being wrong, but with not being used to use it. If you find yourself using Siri quite a lot in your iPhone 4s, then it is more than likely that you will like a lot that feat.

Then there is this assist app, which is kind of "do not disturb" with steroids. Besides silencing all notifications as do not disturb, it can sense when you are driving so it can read out loud caller and sms for you. It also syncs with your calendar, and will silence your phone while in a meeting.

About the camera under normal conditions they are quite similar. Nonetheless to me under low light the Moto x' is somewhat better.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Look at the battery life comparisons on Anandtech and pay particular attention to the LTE browsing battery life. Most other sites simply do the browsing tests with wifi turned on and connected. This gives android phones a big boost for some reason. The Moto X does very well on wifi and not so great browsing on LTE.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I won't tell you if it fits you or not, but I'll tell you my experience coming from an iPhone 5.

First of all I LOVE active notifications. I can't express it enough, I love that feat. Picking your phone and it displaying notifications and the hour for you, without touching a thing is really handy. That feat alone makes all other phones feel like dumb, old devices.

The always listening one is neat, but not as helpful as I would imagine. But it has nothing to do with it being wrong, but with not being used to use it. If you find yourself using Siri quite a lot in your iPhone 4s, then it is more than likely that you will like a lot that feat.

Then there is this assist app, which is kind of "do not disturb" with steroids. Besides silencing all notifications as do not disturb, it can sense when you are driving so it can read out loud caller and sms for you. It also syncs with your calendar, and will silence your phone while in a meeting.

About the camera under normal conditions they are quite similar. Nonetheless to me under low light the Moto x' is somewhat better.

I was a huge fan of active display on my Moto X. AMOLED screens are really nice and I never knew they only turned on certain pixels.

I know people say the colors aren't as accurate. But I would much prefer an AMOLED screen in my Nexus 5 if it means longer SOT in the long run.

And actually I would disagree with loving the always listening feature. I had a 4S and used Siri but wasn't a fan of the always on feature, but that's mainly because I don't like Google Now and I think Siri is a much better personal assistant because it does a much better job talking back to you, reading things back to you, and confirming actions by voice. With Google Now, a lot of actions still require that you look at your screen and use it. With an iPhone and Siri, you almost never have to use the touch screen which means you can easily use it while driving and keep your eyes on the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.