Iphone 4S UK Imessage randomly sending as text message?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ANDYMILLMAN, Oct 14, 2011.

1. ANDYMILLMAN macrumors member

Hi guys,

Any of you having the following issue on Ios5?

I can start up a conversation with a colleague who has ios 5 and it sends as an imessage as I would expect....

However it will randomly sometimes send them through as a text message another time. Not a big deal as I have unlimited texts, however its started to do it with picture messages randomly (which im being charged 50p for each time it happens!!)

Any ideas?

2. cperchard macrumors 6502a

i'd love to know the answer to this too!!

i have no idea on how it determines what is an imessage and whats a text.....at work i am having a convo with a friend (we both have an iPhone 4 on ios5) and that worked as an imessage fine.........i also had a convo with a friend at home miles away from each other, and that worked as an imessage fine too.

However, i have a convo with my wife who's also got an iphone 4 on ios5 and that only works as text for some reason???

Again it doesnt really matter as i have unlimited anyway, but if u can send pictures free over imessage i'd love to know how to use it properly!

3. superdudeo macrumors regular

I have the same issue and I'm thinking that if one person has bad (data) signal, then it will get sent as normal text rather than the blue iMessage

4. cperchard macrumors 6502a

but i have not once been able to connect to my wife's with imessage, even if i'm right next to her, very strange :(

----------

do u have to sign in to icloud?

----------

oh well scratch that icloud idea, she turned it on and still don't work......i dunno then :(

5. Ohheyaitslauren macrumors newbie

iMessage works between iPhones when both have cellular data signal or Wifi signal. If either of these are not present, a text will be sent instead ...

Does this help? :)

6. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

ISTR reading a thread, where a chap fixed a similar issue by making sure the phone number was in international format (+44, remove first 0 etc) on both devices.

sounds like a bug, but with a work-around.

Have you also checked that both devices have iMessage active and "Activated"

7. springy1607 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issues, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it weirdly! One minute it'll send as iMessage then the next will be SMS! No rhyme or reason to it! Bit annoying really!

For the record both phones are set as iPhone in contacts and with international dialling codes!

8. vebs macrumors regular

Maybe the person you are messaging is skipping in and out of wifi/3G, so can't receive the iMessage?

9. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

I've noticed this too. Make sure the button is blue before you send the iMessage. There's also an option to disable the text message fallback in Settings if you need it. That will also help prevent sending accidental picture messages.

10. springy1607 macrumors newbie

Nope, not that, we live in full 3G area and the phone is on wifi. It's possible but I can't believe the Internet connection drops that often. I'm putting it down to bugs in the system but I thought it'd be smooth as butter.

11. Paul2012 macrumors newbie

As above I too have had iMessage issues when at home on my WiFi (iPhone 4S) having a convo with my mate who is at home on his WiFi (iPhone 4), sometimes iMessage fails to work and a txt is sent, had a spate of doing this but now its working perfectly.

Maybe an update will sort it?

12. Baron10 macrumors newbie

All you have to do is add the person email address to your cant act list so apple can recognise they have an iphone

13. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I sometimes receive a message twice. Once as iMessage and once as text.

14. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

This.
    :)

15. wwl macrumors newbie

Similar thing with iPhone 3GS in Australia

When I installed a new sim card my phone it sent 2 international sms messages to the UK on successive days. At that stage I didn't know what an iMessage was, so I clearly did not intend to send one. A post on the Apple support forum suggests that the latest version (5.1.1?) may solve the problem.

16. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

What i find more irratating then anything is the length of time it takes to send as a text message if it wont go as iMessage, sometimes over 5 minutes...piss poor that is if you ask me!

I've turned it off now as i get unlimited texts anyway.