iPhone 4s Upgrade on Sprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SamAshleyBlogs, Aug 20, 2012.

1. SamAshleyBlogs macrumors regular

I need some advice here.

Like a lot of you, I pre-ordered the iPhone 4s the minute it came out for Sprint. Us Sprint customers had to wait forever for the release and even though I knew I should wait for the next, I couldn't hold off.

Now, I feel a little trapped. It hasn't even been a full year since I got the 4s. Even worse, they're not giving upgrades on the iPhone for TWO years. So, I will not be able to get a discount when the new iPhone "5" comes out.

Any ideas what my best approach should be?

2. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat and have been doing this for years

1.) sell your current phone on craigslist, ebay, amazon for $300-$400 (iphone 4s should get you in that range)

2.) buy the new phone you want on craigslist, ebay, amazon (typically $400-$500 for the newest phones)

So, you basically pay $100-$200 for the newest phone which is what you would've paid with Sprint anyway.... except this way, you don't have to agree to 2 more years, thus keeping your upgrade eligibility in tact.

You can reverse steps 1 and 2 above. Buy the newest phone so that when you sell your current phone, you have a phone to switch over to immediately.

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Why don't you sell your 4S and use that to pay the ETF (Early Termination Fees). Now, depending on your use of course, I plan on, maybe, buying an unlocked 5 through Apple and going with T-Mobile with one of their $30/mo. plans, which ends up a lot cheaper than signing with Sprint for 2-years.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

So you didn't read or ask about your contract terms before you agreed to it? you lease a car for 24 months but the next years car comes out they should give you the newer model right.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This is good idea and you could really do it each year if need be. You would probably come really close to breaking even.

6. SamAshleyBlogs thread starter macrumors regular

Clearly, I knew what I was getting myself into.. I even said that in my initial post. I'm not looking for a "sneaky" way to cheat the system here. Just looking for some good advice from other people that are in the same position as I'm sure there are plenty of us.

----------

I pay for a family plan (I have my aunt and dad under my wing on this) and terminating my contract isn't in the cards right now. I'm not unhappy with Sprint and not planning on making some huge move.

That is a good idea though. Thanks!

Thinking more along the lines of a Gazelle or eBay sell and purchase of the new one.

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Oh I see, then just report the phone lost (reporting it lost you have no gain, but an iPod functioning 4S) or sell the 4S outright, pay the ETF, and get yourself the 5. I'm not sure how Sprint would react to you just telling them you want the iP5 and would pay the ETF on the 4S and start a new contract with the iP5 and add it to your family plan. Please post what they say, I'm curious to know.

8. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Where are these $30/mo plans for TMobile you speak of?

9. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

The $30 plan plus tax I purchased is non-contract of course, 1500 mins. (1 text = 1 min) and a very "very" limited data 30MB good for 30 days.

10. BrokeTechLover macrumors regular

Add a new line to your family plan,get the iPhone 5 cheaper,cancel your iPhone 4S line & sell the phone.
    [[idk if it'll work but it's a theory]]