iPhone 4s Upload Speed Jump? (AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snourse, Dec 11, 2011.

1. snourse, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

snourse macrumors newbie

Hi-

I've been testing 3g speeds on my iPhone 4s since I've gotten it.

Within the last week I've seen a marked jump in upload speeds around my house and near Ralph Wilson Stadium (home of the Buffalo Bills) that wasn't there before.

I'm still seeing 3-6 Mbps download speeds, but have seen upload speeds jump from a steady ~1Mbps to sometimes over 3Mbps.

I'm wondering if this is part of AT&T's backhaul upgrade?

[​IMG]

2. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

The highest I have gotten is 1.18 Mbps for the upload and I live in Dallas which is one of the upgrade markets.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I live north of Los Angeles and the max I have gotten is 1.84-up, I tend to average around 1.45-1.50-up. Its more than enough for me, because Time Warner only gives you .97Mbps up, even if you are getting 40+Mbps down.

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Most likely do to upgrades. I experience this back in March which significant speed increases.

5. TWD98j macrumors regular

I experienced something similar back in the spring around March-April, from Grand Rapids, MI.

For me, however, it was incremental because up until then, I would only get 1-2 bars of 3G at home. I was on my 3GS at that point but it wasn't a big deal because I'd turn 3G off and turn WiFi on when at home anyways. But since around that time frame, I would get 3-4 bars on my 3GS and I get 3-5 bars now on my 4S.

Only difference between the 2 devices is that with the 3GS I could only push speeds of 1-2.5 mbps down and about 0.5-1 mbps up. On the 4S I'm getting 3-5mbps down and 1-2 mbps up.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

North of LA? I assume you live in the SFV? SFV coverage is AWFUL!!

7. snourse thread starter macrumors newbie

What did your speeds jump from/to?

I'm pretty happy with the speeds around the metro area... Not quite 4g, but very usable. I've only found a few pockets with the faster upload speeds, but most areas have a consistent ~1Mbps upload available.

I really wish AT&T would expand their 3G network, however. Rural areas, which I visit often, have only the dreadfully slow Edge network available. It's not very usable nor reliable.

8. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I moved from the 3gs and was getting about 0.5 Mbps to now on my 4s the highest i've seen is 2.6Mbps

So its a rather nice jump, but nothing close to what they are saying i should get. I'm in St. Louis where they say hspa+ is at according to their coverage maps

9. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I've never had a problem near San Fernando or Simi Valley unless I'm surrounded by really tall buildings or in the deep underbelly of CSUN's buildings, but then again that makes sense. Not very often that that happens either.

10. ElZeus macrumors regular

11. snourse thread starter macrumors newbie

If responding to the original thread, I don't think that's all of it-- I've gotten the higher upload speeds during the afternoon as well, and was limited to about 1.10 Mbps prior to 12/6/11 at the same time of day/night.

Does anyone know the "theoretical - real world" top speed of AT&T and the iPhone 4s?

12. gretafour macrumors regular

I'm also in Buffalo, which shows on the map as having HSPA+. When I first got the 4S I was doing 4-5.5 Megabits/sec down and consistently 1 up. Lately though, I've noticed a dramatic drop! I mostly do less 1.5 down and 1 up! Getting lots of 0.87, 0.65 kind of stuff. Just pulled a 0.35 down.

If I turn the phone completely off and back on, I can break 3Mbps and then subsequent tests are all below 1Mbps. I'm wondering if they're throttling me! :-(

Either way, I've decided I should stop obsessing and just use the damn phone.:D

13. gretafour macrumors regular

To speak to the original question of the thread, I did notice an occasional huge boost in upload speed when I was in Rochester (which is NOT in the HSPA+ area) over the weekend:

Attached Files:

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Live in Agoura. Service is 4-5 bars 24/7 and my speeds never drop below 3Mbps down.

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Both the 4 and the 4S support HSUPA cat 6, which is up to 5.76Mbps link speed.

16. snourse thread starter macrumors newbie

Weird-- I wonder if they've changed something in the tower, if you have neighbors sucking up data all of a sudden.

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Reseda area is awful I have seen 1 or 2 bars..sometimes I get Edge network

----------

Why don't you test drive in Reseda area and on Orange busway you will see the result. I am with AT&T let you know.

18. bgtrack macrumors regular

bgtrack

I am not as worried about upload as I am download...I am kind of upset the download hasn't improved much.

19. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Seeing as I am currently in Cleveland, your proposal is quite difficult. The next time I am out there, I'll definitely keep watch on my signal strength...or lack thereof.

Another place that seems to be a particularly bad coverage zone is Hollywood, but then again, the towers in that area are so congested during high traffic times that it's no wonder.

20. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Ah I can see that you are in Cleveland right now. Sorry about that. I go to Hollywood few times I can't recall it wasn't that bad 4 or 5 bars over there.