iPhone 4S Vibration rattle/buzz

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KoG506, Sep 23, 2012.

1. KoG506 macrumors member

I bought my iPhone 4S Used two days ago. mint condition. I discovered the custom vibration under sound, So was making a custom vibration. I heard a very loud rattle/buzzing noise. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ8y3PsEvWY&feature=youtu.be

The warranty ends in march,2013. So The original owner bought it march, 2012. Maybe this problem wasn't fixed yet since release date. What should I do?

2. AMDENCO macrumors member

This is normal with the 4s caused by the camera mechanism. If you tap the phone you will hear the rattle as well.. I have taken my phone to apple and tested it on all floor models and they all do it.

3. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

The sound is normal, but the screen shouldn't be ghosting like it does on your iPhone.

4. KoG506 thread starter macrumors member

:( That is weird for iPhone.. my 3GS didnt have any rattling noise at all. just normal vibrating sound.. But what do you mean ghosting?

5. Pooliekaty macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the rattling sound on my 5 it's just up in the top corner where the camera is. Anyone else have this on the 5 ?

6. KoG506 thread starter macrumors member

see if that rattling noise occurs on a different iPhone 5, go to apple store and test their display 5s. if its just yours than get it replaced.

To the other posts:

So i was at home depot and my phone vibrated in my pockets and the rattling noise does not sound normal at all. I understand the buzzing sound is normal but rattling from a vibrating motor is not. it sounds like the front or back plate is not close to the body of the iPhone. maybe a very small gap between the aluminum and the front and rear glass. So when the vibration happens, the glass is hitting the body of the phone causing the rattling <--- my theory. if you listen to the video, the noise is rattling.

Maybe I need to go to my local apple store and get it replaced.

7. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Man, that's awful... puts my whole "if you hold it at this angle and tap here, you can hear the camera lens rattle a bit" thing to shame...

8. KoG506, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

KoG506 thread starter macrumors member

I think I saw one of your post saying that lol seems like thats normal?.... but yeah, Its DEFINITELY not normal (my iPhone's symptom). the buzzing is normal (just like any other phones)

just got another 4S but brand new and did same test and it sound normal and did NOT have the rattling noise the one has. going to make an appointment with a genius to get it replaced. I'm going to bring this new one too, to show them the difference.