iPhone 4s Video Recording Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scrubblelawl, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Scrubblelawl macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I have recently been recording a lot of videos of snowboarding and stuff and I was really excited to upload all of it to Youtube/FB. As I was importing all the videos to my computer via dropbox, I noticed that all of the videos were really low quality (568 x 320). Do I have to use iMovie on the phone or something to export as higher quality?

2. Senex macrumors member

Short answer: yes (but iMovie on a desktop, not on the phone)

Long answer: You'll get full HD quality videos only by importing them while connected via USB. I generally use iPhoto or Aperture to grab videos, then bring them into whatever edit suite I'm using.

3. Scrubblelawl thread starter macrumors newbie

So there is no way to export to a Windows machine wirelessly and get full quality?

If I use my cord and plugin to a Windows machine, can I pull off the videos that way and get HD?

4. Senex macrumors member

I'm not sure about wirelessly, but if you're plugged in via USB, then you can use Windows Explorer to find the video files. Should be in iPhone->Internal Storage->DCIM or something similar.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Dropbox shrinks the videos, yes.

There may be some app out there that transfers them wirelessly without shrinking them, but I don't know of one.

Using the USB cable is still the easiest way I know.

6. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I sent a video to a friend (who has iP4, iOS 5.x) and the video looked terrible...realized it "sent as text message". So I uploaded it to Dropbox and sent him the link (all from my phone, 4S).

It's a 19 second clip, 56mb, 1920x1080 at 29fps. That's not shrinking.

Perhaps it depends on the length of the video, as you can only upload up to 180mb file I do believe, but it certainly isn't a general "Dropbox shrinks the videos".

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You can upload HD to YouTube directly from the phone. Also, be sure to hold it horizontally while filming.

8. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Please help!

I charge my iphone via USB on my PC with Windows XP (getting the iMac 27" refresh in 2012). I can't locate the folder you describing when the iPhone is connecting. I need to know how to import original HD video from my iPhone to the PC I use the Camera wizard for photos but videos won't work on that

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I just checked and apparently there's a setting for video quality upload. 'Original' is an option, but it's not the default.

So that explains it.

I never knew that was there, I wonder if one of the updates did it, I've had the app since it first came out so it's been forever since I've poked around in the settings.

10. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

The camera wizard should still upload the video with Windows. If not, then go into My Computer, then find the iPhone. It should show as a removable storage device. Click on it and you should see the folder structure described by the other poster. It may differ a little since you are still on XP, but the camera/scanner wizard should still recognize the video.

11. NeshyD macrumors member

NeshyD

Yeah I had to change that settings for my photos. When I uploaded them initially it was very low quality! I guess it's a good option to save data usage, but I'm on Wi-Fi all the time so... :p

12. NYRangers11 macrumors member

If I wanted to access the iPhone on a mac using the same method, whats the procedure? I remember being able to use my old iPod as a external hard dive.

Now I can only import pictures using either Aperture or iPhoto. Is there a way i can access the actual picture file?

13. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

I find using the HD upload option still loses quality I use filmic pro to upload 1080p videos.

14. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

thank you so much!! it worked. I just have to drag the pics and videos to the desktop!! yay!!