iPhone 4S vs 4 Front Facing Camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluesTank, Nov 6, 2011.

1. bluesTank macrumors regular

The tech specs on the front facing camera of the 4S and the old 4 are the same (VGA with 30 fps)

However, when I compare my wife's 4S with my 4, they look different. The most notable difference is the white balance is much warmer with the 4S, and a tad bit sharper.

This makes me wonder, why would apple improve the image processing for the 4S but leave (or even slightly change) the picture from the old iPhone?

To me it seems like partly a move from Apple to make the iPhone 4S seem better with side by side comparison (ala Siri). Warmer pics always look much better.

Anyone have any comments?

2. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...because it's using the same image processing that the back facing camera uses- image processing that is far superior to the iPhone 4.

Considering it's use, there's no reason to upgrade the camera itself.

3. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

That is my point.

Why is the "new" image processing limited to the new iPhone?

4. madKIR macrumors 6502

It's within the A5.

5. psonice macrumors 6502a

You mean the new image processing core that's built into the A5 chip, that doesn't exist on the older iPhones? They could ask you to send your old iPhone in for a hardware upgrade I guess... ;)

Basically, that's why, it's a hardware feature. There's a tiny image processing chip built into the A5 that handles things like white balance.

6. Brettka7 macrumors regular

Would I happen to be the new hardware combined with a possibly warmer toned screen?

7. madKIR macrumors 6502

No! It has nothing to do with that.
    My 4S screen is on the cooler side. It depends on the display panel manufacturer.

8. psonice macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the screens vary. The new hardware I was referring to is inside the A5 chip, so if you have a 4s (or perhaps ipad2) you have it, if not you don't.