iPhone 4s vs Nexus 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xchaotic, Mar 13, 2013.

1. xchaotic macrumors member

Hi.

My iPhone 3GS started falling apart a few months back, so I sold it and got a cheap Android phone as a temporary measure.
    Turns out Android was more than adequate.
    I'm a big Apple fan, but I think Apple is falling behind a bit in terms of OS and phone features
    I have a full Apple ecosystem - laptops, Ipads, Time Capsule, Apple TV, so there are strong reasons to get an iPhone - reusing apps, AirPlay, syncing music etc but when I look at my iPad homepage and see all the stupid Apple apps that I can't remove and the ones I actually use are on the 2nd and 3rd page, the stupid skeumorphic calendar, the fact that I will have to carry 2 cables now one for the 30-pin and on for the Lightining, I just feel I won't be getting a good deal.
    Can you convince me back?

2. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

I have no interest in whether you go to Android or Apple. But as a former Android user (Galaxy Nexus), with everything else Apple (Mac, iPad, Apple TV, Macbook Air), I just wanted to switch to something that fits in with everything else I have. And I also like the aluminum and glass design versus the Fisher Price plastic offerings that Android usually has.

But yeah, Android is good, and getting better. But keep in mind that if you jailbreak your iPhone, you will be able to hide any pesky apps you don't want, place your icons in any configuration you want using Gridlock (I have my first page completely blank because I like a very minimalistic design, and no dock), etc.

But whatever floats your boat. It's still just a phone.

3. xchaotic thread starter macrumors member

Well, for me it's not "just a phone", in fact there are weeks where I make no voice calls on my 'phone' (I use skype a lot), but I check email, use maps etc
    I think the only thing that holds people back is the availability of good quality paid apps - it's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario - the developers don't bother porting yet and users don't switch as there are no ports...
    I've read a few articles by now and I am now even more convinced by the Nexus - those articles are iPhone users who have switched from iPhone 5 which I think is crazy - iPhone 5 costs almost twice as much and it seems that the devices are comparable, that alone makes the decision quite easy for me...

4. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Could you please post some screen shots of gridlock before I comitt myself to purchase it. I want to know how it actually hides icons and folders.

5. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

I added a dock for this picture, but you can see I did away with the status bar at the top because I like the minimalist look.

Attached Files:

6. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

This shows that you can place icons as you like using gridlock. Another Cydia tweak I use, Springtomize, hides the apps I don't want to see, such as newsstand.

Attached Files:

7. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Not really, I'm completely independent of my Mac and iPhone with my Galaxy Nexus. I use Google Play Music Manager to sync my iTunes library with my Nexus, which is pretty much the only iOS-only exclusive I noticed.

8. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

16gb max storage on the Nexus 4 = no way.
    Either expand to 32gb or 64gb preferably, or add an sd card slot.
    There are clear compromises to the Nexus 4 that allow them to offer it at that price point. Plus the phone is borderline too big, and if the Nexus 5 is actually 5 inches, I'll likely keep sticking with Apple solely b/c people apparently don't care about ergonomics anymore. I simply can not get used to such a large phone. It's not pocketable, and it's not one-handed, and I didn't even think that I cared about such issues until I used one for an extended period of time.

9. cutienoua macrumors member

at least get galaxy S4!
    I don't care what he gets really!
    I had the nexus 4 for a week to try,then sold it as fast as I could on ebay!
    weak reception,low battery,hot wow! mostly on edge on Tmobile even in Seattle area where they do have good coverage.
    also used motorola razr maxx on verizon for a month.
    hated the bloatware,now with 4.1.2 update that is gone.
    of course battery life good,lte great.
    now iphone 5 verizon,ipad mini verizon =bliss!:p