iPhone 4s water damage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dan11798, Mar 6, 2013.

1. dan11798 macrumors newbie

I have been reading the threads but havent found one that really matches what is going on with my phone:

I dropped my iphone in water and immediately tried drying it with a blow dryer right after, this was two hours ago. Now it is working fine except I can't turn the flash off or the phone itself. (it never even shut down after being submerged) Its in rice now, has anyone else had any luck with something like this and is there anything else I should be doing in the meantime to fix this?

2. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

You should have left it off, in a bag of rice for at least 24 hours. Do that now.

3. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

The exact thing happened to my 4S before I got an iPhone 5. I use that phone for business and couldn't be without one for a few days. Decided to take it to Apple a few hours later and pay the $199 for a replacement because I didn't have AppleCare +.

4. dan11798 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jalopybox, thank you for the reply.

It never turned off when it fell in the water. I tried to turn it off manually and all it does is reboot, wont let me turn it off which is really weird.

----------

I hope I don't have to do that but you're saying they gave you a replacement for $200? Did you have insurance or something or is that just how they handle broken phones?

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

I had an iPhone 4 a while back that I dropped in water and it turned out fine. It had a similar problem to yours in that it wouldn't stay off. I would recommend leaving it in rice for a few days, only taking it out in the first 12-14 hours to make sure it is off. Turn it off if it is on. Even better than rice would be to get some silica gel from a craft shop and put it in there.
    I know it's tempting to see if it still works, but all the advice says to be patient and wait it out for a couple days at least.

6. hockeyman94 macrumors regular

Go on eBay and buy a iPhone 4S camera it will fix the problem. Then you just need to buy the correct screw driver a Philips and a pentalope. Your total-
    Camera- $15
    Screw drivers-$5-$8

7. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

That's just too much work and trouble to go through. Why not just call Apple and get an out of warranty replacement?