iPhone 4S White Camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nomik2, Dec 19, 2011.

1. nomik2, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

nomik2 macrumors regular

I knew about this problem before hand but thought Apple would have fixed it by now. Upgrade to the 4s, very disappointed. Going to take it to the Apple store, not sure if I can return/exchange it for black.

Same picture taken at night from my bed.

iPhone 4 Black (This is seriously impressive as the room is pitch black at night)

iPhone 4S White (...and then this mess)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I just went into a dark room in the office and took a picture with my white iPhone 4S, and it worked (gimme a few minutes to post it, and I will), FWIW. Plus this is the first I heard of this supposed defect... are you sure you don't just have a bad unit?

3. nomik2, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

nomik2 thread starter macrumors regular

I sure hope that's all it is. Just took two more at work.

Flash OFF

Flash ON

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is a fairly (but not 100%) dark interior room (no windows). Just a little bleed light from under the door. White 64GB iPhone 4S, which I got right before Thanksgiving, auto flash in the standard camera app.

[​IMG]

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Looks like flash back due to a case, bad screen protector or very commonly your fingers or hand. Make sure nothing is blocking the flash. :cool:

6. nomik2 thread starter macrumors regular

Checked all. I'm going to take it in, chalk it up to being a defective part.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

That's how mine looks with my case on. When I take the case off, it's much better. It's amazing how much some of the cases interfere with the flash.

8. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

That also looks like the problem people have when they haven't removed the protection from the rear of the iPhone..

9. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

To OP, do a clean install before you head down to the apple store, if not, they will do a clean install for you and make you take it home to try it for a day or two, and you need to go back for the 2nd time to do an exchange.

10. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

White 4S user here, photos with flash look very good.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

how often does someone take pictures of a pitch black scene.

12. nomik2 thread starter macrumors regular

I first noticed when I was at a concert and none of the pictures would come out right.

13. gschumsky macrumors member

To be fair to the OP, I've noticed even with my case off, the flash at times can be a bit too intense. I've never experienced what they first posted, though I know some other users who have white iPhones (4 and 4s) experience "ghosting" or whatever you call it with a case on the phone.
    It would be nice if the led actually "flashed" like a normal camera flash, or the phone camera would expose accordingly when the flash is triggered.

One other ongoing issue: focus. It seems to constantly be focusing no matter what. Not too much of a bother on taking photos, but is when shooting video - and locking the AF/AE though a workaround isn't so great when you're panning from a brightly lit scene to something a bit darker or vice-versa.