iPhone 4S wifi isn't as good

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Obscurelight, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Has anyone else noticed that the 4S wifi isn't as good as it was previously on the iPhone 4? Now in certain areas in my home where I previously used wifi on my 4 became unusable on the 4S. The 4S doesn't seem to have as long a range as the 4. This is the case with 3 different 4Ses ive tried and my network setup has not been messed with or changed in any. Anyone experiencing what I'm noticing for the wifi?

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm not noticing my wifi range being any worse.

3. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

Mine is the same. I see no difference between my previous iPhone 4 and my current iPhone 4S.

5. Obscurelight thread starter macrumors 6502

6. blue43fan macrumors regular

Actually, I've noticed the exact opposite. When I first tuned on wifi, I picked up at least five more networks than usual, and strangely enough, it seems to connect to my network at a much further distance. I've never had a device that could pick up my wifi network half way down my street, but my iPhone 4s somehow does.

7. soonadog macrumors member

I suspect it can vary from phone to phone, and maybe your new one just isn't as good as other new 4S's.

My girlfriend and I both got new 4's at the same time, and were in Mexico where wifi was weak, and her reception was noticeably better - I would have to leave our room and find a sweet spot when she had a stronger signal right in our room.

I posted on this but nobody else had noticed a variation between phones. Signals are usually strong so most people probably never notice anyway - we just happened to be in an area with a borderline signal strength and we had two phones we used at the same time, so we had a comparison (and we had data turned off).

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

My 4S wifi is better than my 4's was. I can fully saturate my downlink bandwidth (speedtest app shows ~20Mbps) with the 4S and my 4 only managed 70% of that at best. Using a Netgear WNDR3700 router.