iPhone 4S Yellow Spots, Will Apple Replace?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Aug 25, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014

JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello all,
    I just switched to a 4S today and noticed that their are some yellow spots in the display in the upper right corner.
    I saw a few people saying that Apple was replacing them, is there any way you think that Apple would replace this one (free of charge I mean)???
    Thanks in advance,
    JerTheGeek.

Attached Files:

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

God help us all. :eek:

Maybe you can demand a new 5S or even 6 to replace it. :p

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Seriously this is not what I want. I am super excited about the 4S, just wanting a repair or replacement 4S to fix the yellow spots.

4. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

5. HipsterGG macrumors member

HipsterGG

Where and when did you bought the iPhone? Otherwise you'll have warranty and it will be replaced without any extra costs.

6. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

I've bought each new iPhone since day one. I had yellow spots on my 4S right out of the box, since I hadn't left the Apple store yet I showed it to my sales rep, he went in the back and brought me a new one. That too had the problem but to a much lesser degree. I decided to take it and just watch to see what happened. After about six months they faded to nothing more than a distraction.

Currently the cheap OnePlus One Android phone has the same issues, so it obviously has to do with poor quality displays. I do know the following year when I bought my iPhone 5 that display was back up to Apple's high quality standards. The difference was shocking. So much better.

7. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

It was purchased late 2012. At a verizon store. Hopefully they'll still replace?

8. saudor macrumors 6502

unless you have extended warranties, they won't do it for free

9. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Ok I did call them and confirmed that it will cost me something. Do you guys think it is worth an extra cost to get these yellow spots fixed?

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It depends on how much it bothers you.

11. saudor macrumors 6502

How much is the cost

12. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Probably will be around $80-$100 for a screen replacement.

----------

I have noticed that the yellow spots get darker and lighter. For example, last night and this morning the yellow spots are not nearly as noticeable. What could this mean?

13. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

under warranty, they should.. outside warranty, pay.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It could mean that you found out that it is going to cost $80-$100 to fix it and you are adjusting to the fact that it is not too bad to live with.:)

15. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

that would ANNOY the crap outa me. I would swallow 80-100 for peace of mind.

16. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

The info I really need is, what is causing this issue? I would like to know, as it seems to be spread across tons of iPhone 4's and 4S's. Also, what needs to be done to fix this? Will an LCD replacement work? Cause I have a few local iPhone repair shops that could do that, if that is what needs to be done. Anyone know what this issue is, and what can be done to fix it?

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Everyone has their own limits

18. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

So it is much less noticeable now, really weird but true. Do you think I should worry about replacing the screen now or just leave it?:confused:

19. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

If I was under contract I'd get it fixed, but if you're not I think I'd spend ~60% more on get a brand new iPhone 6.

20. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Sure, so long as it's not a third party screen they will happily replace it. And charge you $200 plus tax if you don't have Apple Care

----------

Either you didn't call Apple or you didn't tell them you have a 4S because there is no screen replacement via Apple for a 4S. It's a full unit replacement and thats $200.

Actually I'm betting you didn't call Apple because the iPhone 5+ screens are $149

21. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I did call Apple and they said they couldn't quote the repair price. I am talking about a local repair shop price. Those charge around $80-$100 for a screen replacement.

22. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

Not always true tho.
    My 5 developed a screen bleed in top corner and was 7 months out of warranty but still got replaced FOC.

23. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

agreed, if its something factory related, I would do the same.. try to get it replaced first for free. Then if all else fails, you will have to pay because it is outside warranty, that's just the way it is.

24. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

My old iPhone 4 developed the same problem after one year and a half year. It looks like the problem was not fixed with the 4s.

25. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

That's what I said at the Genius Bar.
    Had a ip4 replaced under warranty with screen fault yellow blobs.
    My 5 developed screen bleed. Said I have now had 2 iPhones from new and both had failed screens. He spoke to customer care and they agreed to replace my 5 even tho 7 months out of warranty.