iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dexter11, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Dexter11 macrumors member

Hi all,

Is anyone else experiencing grainy pictures from their iPhone 4s?

I am not sure if its how I am taking them - but if I compare them to the pictures on the iPhone website they are nowhere near as clear or sharp?

if anyone has any tips or the same issue please could you let me know.

Thanks

2. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

3. Dexter11 thread starter macrumors member

I am using the rear.

4. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

In what light condition are you taking photos? Inside, outside? In the dark?

Taking pictures inside (with normal lighting or in the dark) will usually always be a bit grainy, especially in dark places.
    Taking photos inside isn't always optimal because the light needed to get a sharp nice photo, even with a DSLR...

5. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

Post some actual photos show casing your graininess

How are you taking the pictures? Indoor? Low light? Outdoor?

The iPhone will adjust ISO levels depending on the lightning conditions. Higher ISO will let you take pictures in low light situation, but it is more grainy. If you take photos in bright outdoor daylight the ISO will adjust lower. Pictures will be less grainy. This works the same with basically every digital camera. In film cameras you can adjust ISO levels too. But you do it manually with a different film cart.

The photo samples on Apple's website are all done outdoors with bright lightning condition. Basically, they are pictures taken with optimal conditions in mind.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Exactly. Not to dig into the gory details, but the darker the environment the higher the noise level (graininess) due to the reduced available light hitting the sensor vs. the underlying sensor/amplifier noise.

Our eyes are very adaptable and thus it's not obvious how huge a difference there is between the amount of light in a sunny outdoor situation vs. a room with a couple 60W lightbulbs.

If you're getting grainy shots in outdoor well lit situations, there's a problem. Indoors with little light, that's normal.