Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Final Cut

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
so i just loaded up some music on my new i5 and its really low compared to my old 4. its like maybe 25-50% lower @ max volume. I tried different headphones. Is this some of lame hearing protection feature from apple? Volume limiter is not active i check in the settings.

JFC

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
so i just loaded up some music on my new i5 and its really low compared to my old 4. its like maybe 25-50% lower @ max volume. I tried different headphones. Is this some of lame hearing protection feature from apple? Volume limiter is not active i check in the settings.

My i5 is having the same thing happening. Additionally, the bass is significantly increased. My 4S was fine.

Make Donuts

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
utah
My Ip5 is definitely louder than my Ip4. Now I actually have to turn it down which was the opposite with my Ip4.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I've been so busy I didn't complete my setup.

Then I read about this problem on the news. Upon returning from work tonight I loaded some music on for test purposes. I'm happy to report mines somewhat louder, richer, and has a better sound that my 4S. I wasn't expecting such good performance.

Frankly I though it would be similar to my 4S. iPhone 5 works well as an iPod.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Very significant volume and quality increase on my end. But as another poster said, maybe it's because I have twice as much storage than before.

On a more seriously note, I think the iPhone 5 has really good speakers for a mobile device!

iWeldonJ

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
I have the white iPhone 5 16 gb and to me it sounds much louder than the 4S. I often have to turn it down.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN

Have you had your hearing checked lately, lol?

My iP5 is at least 30% louder than the iP4. Checked it side by side with my Son's iP4 with the same video playing.

Additionally, I tried my Motorola SD10 HD stereo bluetooth headphones and I could not turn the volume up all the way without blowing out my eardrums.

If you really have a loss of volume compared to the iP4 you might want to take it back.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'm with the OP. my iP5 volume is significantly lower compared to my 4S.

whitesand

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011

Take off the factory plastic screen protector...Enjoy:apple:

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Well I for one noticed that my new black Toshiba DP-5032 desk phone is much lower in volume compared to the 5022. I have to turn up the volume on every single call.

I might boycott.

rsnc

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2012
something is wrong with one of your phones..

the 4 is much quieter than the 5..

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
I tested it against a 4S, and it seems like the 5 is a little quieter, don't know what to do really as I don't think it is quiet enough to warrant a replacement. Need to find someone else with an iPhone 5 and test that against mine.

Edit: I just called Carphone Warehouse who were acting on behalf of O2 and the guy on the phone said he was having the same problem with his, it seemed quiter than his 4S, however he doesn't believe this to be a fault. He has advised that I call back in a couple of days to see if they have anymore information.

I think I'm just being pety to be honest, it really can't be much of a difference.

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

In a discussion regarding the speaker, the capacity has nothing to do with the output of the volume (iphone 5 16GB volume output is super low compared to iPhone 4),

Its just a pet-peeve of mine, like stating "My Sprint White iPhone 5 64 GB model has a home button issue" (I've seen this on the forum for years). Now in a discussion regarding network performance, stating the provider is important information.

bbalfour82

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I'm also noticing that there is indeed a volume issue with the iPhone 5. Yes, it's surely LOUDER compared with the iPhone 4 but LOWER compared with the iPhone 4S. I'm 100% sure that the reduction of volume is there on the iPhone 5. Does anyone know of a Cydia tweak or a similar app that can increase the volume. This is my ONLY complaint of the iPhone 5...

Before I exchanged my iPhone 4S, I could turn my volume up HALF WAYS and the volume would already pierce my ear...

2SwiFt29

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
ip5 is definitely louder than my ip4. Glad they finally did something with the speakers. Can't complain about it.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
In a discussion regarding the speaker, the capacity has nothing to do with the output of the volume (iphone 5 16GB volume output is super low compared to iPhone 4),

Its just a pet-peeve of mine, like stating "My Sprint White iPhone 5 64 GB model has a home button issue" (I've seen this on the forum for years). Now in a discussion regarding network performance, stating the provider is important information.

Oh okay I get it now I just didn't pick up the sarcasm.. my bad >__<

leftbelow

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Iphone 5 32 GB black volume issues headphone jack also

I also have the same issue and double checked against old iphone 4 and its significantly 20% lower volume output with the same headphones and all sound checks turned off? whats this all about has anyone else found a way of getting this resolved or are we the ones with faulty bad headphone chips..didnt really want to go to the apple store for this if they start reseting phone to see if works blah de blah.. anyone?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
The iPhone 5 is definitely louder.

However, I have noticed some oddities with volume controls reporting at max but really aren't, one volume change affecting an unrelated volume, etc. Look for a giant pile of little bug fixes for stuff like this in the next release of iOS 6...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.