iPhone 5 "4G" versus iPhone 4S "4G" for AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krizko, Sep 13, 2012.

1. krizko macrumors regular

I was wondering, not sure if this was addressed anywhere else yet, is the "4G" that the iPhone 5 has the same as the fake "4G" the current iPhone 4S offers?

On AT&T's network this is.

I am not talking about LTE at all here either. Just wondering if there were any improvements regarding regular "4G" speed on AT&T with the iPhone 5, as I am outside of AT&T's "4G LTE" network but plenty inside the "4G" network.

Thanks!

2. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

"4g" on iphone 4s is a joke. I think LTE for AT&T is limited to certain areas right now.

3. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

It's not fake 4G. There are just different versions of 4G. AT&T (and tMobile) 4G is HSPA+ and LTE.
    Sprint initially offered 4G via WiMax, but have since saw the light and are moving to LTE for their 4G network.
    Verizon's CDMA doesn't meet 4G requirements, therefore it's 3G.

4G is a standard, the technology that meets that standard varies.

4. Surrylic macrumors regular

I see what you're asking, and as far as I know I don't think there is any difference between the two phones... the 5 has a better antenna supposedly, so you may get a little better service, which could possibly result in higher speeds but yeah... I think they'll be the same when the 4G icon is up.