Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohenriquez

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
I am having second thoughts about getting the new iPhone 5S. I am not sure whether this has happened to any of you. I have seen the iPhone 5 64 GB slate around £449 refurbished and iphones 5 with lesser capacity even cheaper. I know that the iPhone 5s is £549
This price difference makes me think twice
The main feature that attracts me is the fingerprint as I already have a nice camera
I use exchange that requires Passcode and I may think that paying extra for only that feature may not be worth it but in the other hand I may think it is nice to have the latest model
Any constructive comments are appreciated
At least the waiting time for the release of the iPhone 5s will allow to think carefully:apple:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The difference between the 5 and 5s is small, but it depends on your needs or desires. The A7 and M7 coprocessor are probably the biggest features after TouchID.

Personally, I'd stick with the 5 and wait to see how the iPhone 6 looks next year.

You'll see a bigger difference in features if you upgrade every other year (either 4s->5s->6s or 4->5->6).

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Agree with above.

Certainly if one has a 5 there is little to compel one to upgrade. However, as the wife and i are coming from a 4 and 4s, I will be upgrading to 64 5s's. My philosophy is that even though it is cheaper, the 5 is year-old tech. While very capable now, in 2 years there may be things the 5s can do that are no longer supported on the 5.

Remember, cost/benefit calculations are individual. Only you can determine what you need.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
If you have 5 like me, you'd better wait for the 6, yes the S is having some really nice features but nothing so " wow " to go and grab it, it really depends on you and what you need from your phone, I personally upgrade every 2 years :)

ohenriquez

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
I decided to buy a brand new black iPhone 5 64 GB for only £400 and while I wanted the 5S, the £159 I saved can compensate for this. It is the first time I have an iPhone with 64 GB and I am looking forward to putting all my favourite spotify playlist as well as photos and songs from my big iTunes library

Thank you for the invaluable advice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.