iPhone 5 A6 processor, 2x as fast = 2x more processing power?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Radiating, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Radiating, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

Radiating macrumors 65816

Does 2x as fast mean it's a 2ghz dual core or a 1ghz quad core compared to the 4S's 1ghz dual core or just slightly faster with more efficienty processing?

If it actually has 4ghz of processing power, that makes it one of the powerful mobile processor. If not, then it's a bit of marketing speak, but still nice.

2. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

together with the software fine tuned on the processor, it will be about 1.5 or 2x faster, probaly.

Want to hear the exact specs soon:D
    a15 architecture please :cool::apple:

3. brucethemoose macrumors newbie

1ghz quad core would be a terrible upgrade, as no software can take advantage of 4 cores. As this would be the easiest upgrade for Apple, I was expecting this.

Fortunately, looks like Apple did a CPU upgrade the right way :). Seems to be a dual core A15 instead of an A9, which is a very good thing. Clock for clock (aka 1ghz to 1ghz), the A6 in the iPhone 5 should be 40% faster than the A5 in the 4S. A 20-50% clock speed bump seems reasonable too. As for the rest, Apple probably just rounded up to 2x because they can.

The GPU's a mystery as of now. But based on the small die size/lower power consumption with the bigger CPU, 2x seems like a stretch to me. Still, a 1.5x faster GPU would put it safely ahead of the competition now, and slightly behind it in a couple of months.

Dangit, I was gonna wait for OMAP5 (support your backyard companies, people!) or jump on a phone with a Snapdragon CPU. Now the iPhone 5 is really tempting :)

4. knickerblogger macrumors newbie

i don't see how the iphone is any better than the top end android phones of the past 3 months.

5. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

The 4s wasn't running at 1ghz, it's a dual core 800mhz cpu.

6. knickerblogger macrumors newbie

HTC One S has everything the iphone 5 has and costs $200 less.

7. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

thanks for trying to make this topic a flamewar.

8. kevintech macrumors 6502

I've been a loyal Apple user for years, but this quoted post is on the money. I don't see how much longer Apple can keep its iPhone fans.

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Huh? The One S has a lower resolution screen, worse battery life, no LTE, no HD front facing camera, is only dual mic, worse speakers, and no HD voice.

It is cheaper though, you got one right.

10. knickerblogger, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

knickerblogger macrumors newbie

Bigger screen, better outdoors, nobody cares about dual mic or speakers (how do you know they are better anyway?) and wtf is hd voice, I just think the One S is a much better VALUE. Also the One S was released 5 months ago.

I can't believe that HTC is losing customers and Apple is killing it in the market. But then again is apple is the best INNOVATOR and Marketer. But thats not what I care about seeing as how I am on this site all I care about are specs and multifunctionality. Anyway I fully expect Samsung to take over since once they get some issues ironed out they will have the best in every category.

Also i don't want to be sexist but IMO Android is for men and iOS is for women. Big phone big package and the feminine slim and sexy if of course the 'shiq' iphone

11. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

it got android. iphone got iOS6. Enough said.

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

How do you know it's better outdoors?

13. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Considering Apple is pretty good and approximating performance improvements, we should be close to A5X class performance in a smartphone.

That's pretty potent.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

What is 4GHz of processing power, that is a completely useless and ignorant metric.

We don't know anything. We know marketing 2x as fast speak.

Praying for CortexA15. But it could certainly be something proprietary.

15. zbarvian macrumors 68010

I really don't know what the A6 is. It could be an A-15 chip (unlikely), quad core A9 (likely), or overclocked, 32nm A5. We'll have to wait and see the teardowns.

16. knickerblogger macrumors newbie

much higher contrast ratio

17. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

depends on what the A6 really is:
    * an overclocked A5, then you are right
    * an Cortex A9 quadcore, then it is at least as good as the phones you mentioned
    * an Cortex A15 dualcore. Than the iphone would even humiliate the Note with its 1.6 Ghz quad core

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Contrast ratio measures the difference between how dark and bright the display can get, it means nothing on how well a display will work in daylight. You need to measure the reflectivness of the glass as well as the screen overall brightness to determine that.

19. Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

Definetly would be nice to have an answer to this.

20. ndn001 macrumors newbie

Can someone please confirm how much RAM the Iphone 5 has and is the A15 dual core chip confirmed by apple or is it a rumor ?

21. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

The guys from Anandtech are adamant that its a cortex A15 chip. They said they've verified it with "their own sources" and the "2x faster" sealed the deal.

Apple also hired one of the chief architects of the A15 chip, so i think it's A15 too.

If true, which i believe it is, the iPhone 5 is going smoke pretty much everything on the market.

22. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

It runs non-garbage collected native code, not garbage.

You can compare megahertz, the rest of us will compare performance of the actual software, which generally runs faster on iOS for the same megahertz because it is lower level more efficient code.

23. Radiating thread starter macrumors 65816

Multiple trusted sources are confirming it's the Cortex A15 chip and everyone seems to agree. The iPhone 5 also has 1GB of ram.

This far surpassed my expecations. We're getting probably more than twice the processing power and the processing speed to blow every other smartphone out of the water until they catch up.

24. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The main sources of confirmation are Anand and Brian from anandtech. When you look at the claimed improvements and apple's history of clock speeds and how they advertise their SoCs, I think A15 makes the most sense.

The 1GB of RAM may not be certain. The iPad 3 needed it as framebuffer for the massive screen, but they may have stayed 512MB on this one. In either case, I hope they went with LPDDR3 to get the performance they're getting.