iPhone 5 Activation Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wgr73, Sep 20, 2012.

1. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

So I ordered an iPhone 5 under my fathers number. I'm going to get his phone tomorrow but want it in my number (yes, I used his upgrade). How can I activate the phone without interrupting his service? I know my sim card won't fit anymore which is a bummer. Thanks guys

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Just don't activate it, once you do his phone will quit working. Call or go to the carrier and have them do it.

3. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Quick response, thanks! So by calling AT&T (and assuming giving them the new i5 IMEI) they can activate it on my number instead of his?

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

This question has been asked and answered a few hundred times in the past few days. Scroll down the page.

(after you get the phone, and have both phones handy, call ATT customer service, or go in to the store)

5. SaltedV8 macrumors member

i DONT KNOW ABOUT all the imei stuff but I did the same thing. I gave an upgrade to a friend for his number. took it to the ATT store and they activated my upgraded phone to his number and it was seamless and no problem whatsoever. On either party

(sorry about the caps lock at the start)

----------

Why is everyone so sensitive about a question being asked more than once? If it were only allowed to be asked only one time do you realize by the time you found the ONE thing you were asking, it would probably be outdated already. You people need to lighten up. People are excited about their new phones and some are being brought into the Apple world for the very first time with the new device. Let them be excited and CUT THEM SOME SLACK!!!!

6. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Thanks guys. I'm sitting here with 9 google pages open but all are either sprint or verizon. Thanks again! (don't worry about the caps lock ;))

7. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I called att last year and still had to go to the store and have them do it. I'm going later today and picking up a nano sim that way I can pop it in and activate it under my line.

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Exactly this. You may need a new SIM Card

9. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You'll need an additional nanoSIM. The sim that will come in the 5, is already set for your father's number and you'll not be able to re-use it. Go by AT&T today, pick up a nanoSIM and call AT&T when you get the phone tomorrow. They will be able to switch service to the new SIM and you'll be set.

10. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Ok, great. I'll go by and pick one up! Thanks!

11. 96whitels macrumors member

96whitels

From the Mac Guides:

UPGRADE SWAP - Can I use someone else's upgrade? Yes, this is called an "upgrade swap". If you perform this in a carrier, they will handle it all for you. Apple is able to do this also in store, provided that you tell them beforehand.

If you prefer to order online, place your order for the phone using the line(s) that has an available upgrade. If this line currently has no data plan, you may need to add a data plan (just choose the cheapest as you will be removing it later.) Once the phone(s) arrive contact the carrier to let them know that you will be activating the phone(s) on another line (performing an "upgrade swap"). (If you had to add a data plan, have them remove it at this time as well.) Once the carrier has reassociated the SIM with the correct line, complete the activation on the phone. DONE!

This process does not affect your unlimited data plan.

12. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

From my experience, once the phone is ordered, they associate the phone number to the SIM that's in that phone, and the SIM cannot be reused. So this may be confusing to some folks, thinking they don't need another SIM. I've done this many times with our company phones, and you do need extra SIMs. That's why I have plenty of backups :)

13. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

14. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Interesting. I know on the business accounts, my AT&T rep has always told me that I need a new SIM. That's why he sends me extras..

But it looks like this may work!

15. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Interesting. I'll give this a shot first to see if it'll save me $$ and a trip. If not then I'll go into the store. Hopefully calling does the trick! Thanks

16. dwburnell macrumors regular

I went into the AT&T store yesterday and asked them about this. I was going to do the thing where you add a 3rd line for $10 a month and just keep that line on a dumb phone. They told me to activate the iphone 5 on a new line, then call and have them transfer my number to the iPhone 5 and then cancel the data plan on the new number. They also said I need the IEMI for the new iPhone and the dumb phone so they can transfer everything.

17. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

I didn't want to start a new activation thread regarding activation, so I will place this question here. I hope you all can help.

When I got the iPhone (1st gen), I activated the phone through iTunes. When I got my iPhone 3GS, I bought it and activated it right at the AT&T store in a single visit.

This is my first time pre-ordering the phone and having it shipped to me. How does the activation work this time? Once I have it, I know it is assigned to my phone number; I just don't know how to activate it. iTunes again?

18. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

So weird they have so many different ways. hmm i am actually on a business account this year. I will give them a call to see if it has changed for me as well. could be that is for non business accounts.

----------

Hi. All you have to do is just turn it on and follow the prompts to activate without itunes. You will need wifi though if you plan on not using itunes. If you skip the wifi part then it will ask you to connect to itunes if you prefer that method.

19. kjmff5 macrumors regular

So going off of this, how do I sell my iPhone unopened. My problem is that when I sell it, I don't want the person who bought it to turn it on and all of a sudden activate my upgrade. I want this to be fool proof. I know I can just tell him/her to go to ATT to activate, but I really don't want to hope it happens, I'd rather just make sure it gets done right rather than relying on the buy.
    Do I call ATT and say hey, I did an upgrade, but unlink it to my account?
    Or what?

Thanks!

20. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

this one I do not know! You will need to call at&t for sure to deactivate the sim in the new iphone that's about all I know.

21. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I have a similar question (which I probably will call AT&T about anyway).

I have a family plan with 2 phones, a 4 (my wife) and a 4S (me).

I use the 4 upgrade eligibility to get the 5.

My wife will be at work tomorrow and I will be at home awaiting delivery.

My plan is to set her up on the 4S tonight by switching sims and restoring from her backup.

I will set up the 4 temporarily as mine until the 5 arrives.

When the 5 comes, I just follow the directions about switching numbers by calling AT&T before even turning on the 5.

That should work, right? I don't want my wife's phone to be down.

22. dmendiola macrumors member

I'm exactly the same situation and I'd love to know other peoples thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

23. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

I'm doing a cross upgrade too and talked to both AT&T rep and a corporate store rep and both told me when the phone comes in to call AT&T with the SIM card and the IMEI numbers and they can do everything over the phone. I'm pretty sure you would want to call them before activating the phone because it would probably pick up the phone number of the account it was ordered for thus resulting in having to purchase a new SIM card for both the iPhone 5 and the line you just updated since it killed their SIM card.

If all else fails I will run to the corporate store even though it's 30 minutes away.

24. bryann9182 macrumors regular

I know I have sold a Galaxy SIII that was once activated on my line without any issues. The person I sold it to had no issues activating it on his line...

25. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Simple..take both phones into the store, tell them what u want to do. And they will do it within 5 mins.