iphone 5 and hotspot question

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I have the att IP5 with unlimited data. If I get an ipad mini wifi version can I use the IP5 as a hotspot and coonect the ipadmini or ipad to get connected when not in a wifi area.

Can someone explain how the hot spot works

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
if you have verizon...yes.. unlimited hotspot is $30 more a month on your bill

if you have att...you are s.o.l. only way you can tether is by switching to a shared plan... or using a jailbreak tweak.. (which no ip5 jailbreak is out..and att is pretty strict on detecting unauthorized tethering)

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
when you say shared plan, does it mean data and mobile hotspot sharedplan.

I am on ATT, and have family shared data plan.

Last edited:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

no shared data plans.. if you have ATT and unlimited data you can not use hotspot without switching data plans

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
if you have verizon...yes.. unlimited hotspot is $30 more a month on your bill

if you have att...you are s.o.l. only way you can tether is by switching to a shared plan...
Hotspot's included on Verizon's share plans.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011

I'm confused. You say you have unlimited data, then you say you have a family shared data plan.

I'm assuming you mean you have a family shared voice plan, with grandfathered unlimited data on your line. In which case you cannot tether without jailbreaking.

You have two choices, either switch your plan to the 5GB/Month tiered plan for $50/month or switch your family's account to a Mobile Share plan.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I'm confused. You say you have unlimited data, then you say you have a family shared data plan.

I'm assuming you mean you have a family shared voice plan, with grandfathered unlimited data on your line. In which case you cannot tether without jailbreaking.

You have two choices, either switch your plan to the 5GB/Month tiered plan for $50/month or switch your family's account to a Mobile Share plan.
yes, i mean family shared voice and unlimited data on my line. My wife's line I believe does not have unlimited. I think she is on the 5gb/month plan, can she use her phone as a hot spot for the ipad mini. The only reason Ia sk is to use the mini as gps if needed or at the airport or something.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
My wife's line I believe does not have unlimited. I think she is on the 5gb/month plan, can she use her phone as a hot spot for the ipad mini.
AT&T Data Pro 5GB: $50 for 5GB, with mobile hotspot / tethering

If that is the plan she has, then yes she can use her phone as a hotspot for the tablet.