iphone 5 and hotspot question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i-sidd, Oct 24, 2012.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I have the att IP5 with unlimited data. If I get an ipad mini wifi version can I use the IP5 as a hotspot and coonect the ipadmini or ipad to get connected when not in a wifi area.

Can someone explain how the hot spot works

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

if you have verizon...yes.. unlimited hotspot is $30 more a month on your bill

if you have att...you are s.o.l. only way you can tether is by switching to a shared plan... or using a jailbreak tweak.. (which no ip5 jailbreak is out..and att is pretty strict on detecting unauthorized tethering)

3. i-sidd, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

when you say shared plan, does it mean data and mobile hotspot sharedplan.

I am on ATT, and have family shared data plan.

4. cngrevolution macrumors member

Once u activate the hotspot you can either use wifi for the mini or use Bluetooth.

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

no shared data plans.. if you have ATT and unlimited data you can not use hotspot without switching data plans

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Hotspot's included on Verizon's share plans.

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

as well as att.. but thats irrelevant. He said he has ATT unlimited data

8. satchow macrumors 6502

I'm confused. You say you have unlimited data, then you say you have a family shared data plan.

I'm assuming you mean you have a family shared voice plan, with grandfathered unlimited data on your line. In which case you cannot tether without jailbreaking.

You have two choices, either switch your plan to the 5GB/Month tiered plan for $50/month or switch your family's account to a Mobile Share plan.

9. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes, i mean family shared voice and unlimited data on my line. My wife's line I believe does not have unlimited. I think she is on the 5gb/month plan, can she use her phone as a hot spot for the ipad mini. The only reason Ia sk is to use the mini as gps if needed or at the airport or something.

10. satchow macrumors 6502

AT&T Data Pro 5GB: $50 for 5GB, with mobile hotspot / tethering

If that is the plan she has, then yes she can use her phone as a hotspot for the tablet.