iPhone 5 and it's future...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jr866gooner, Sep 22, 2013.

1. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

So I currently have an iPhone 4 and my contract was up on 3rd of sept, it's rolling and I'm free to upgrade if I wish.

The new handsets right now are just too expensive but I wondered if I upgraded to the old 5 would it get a taste of the newer OS's? Or would it be a case of it being stuck on iOS 7 as apple claim the device to be discontinued?

I am hoping that the 5 is only being discontinued in apple stores ie not selling it but still supporting it!

2. nhamp07 macrumors regular

they only sell the ipad retina and the ipad 2. They dont sell the third generation anymore but it still gets software updates. Youll be fine.

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

It all depends on what you mean by supported. If you men in terms of service yes they will if you mean future OS revisions then its hard to say. In terms of the OS its not a case of whether Apple will support the 5 but whether the technology in it will be compatible with the new OS revisions. Its possible for example the 5 will work with iOS 8 when it eventually gets released a few years down the road but it may not be a smooth experience.

Going by previous iPhone models and new iOS revisions there will always come a point in time when the newest OS will not work. I suspect as the 5C is basically the same as the 5 you may not have as much to worry about as the 5C will have to be supported as you say for a while.

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

The 5 will give you almost everything the 5S offers and would be a great upgrade from the 4 at a lower price. The 5 is awesome hardware. :)

5. cambookpro, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

The 5 will be fine, will almost definitely receive iOS 8 and probably will get iOS 9, albeit a slightly stripped-down version.

Apple doesn't suddenly stop supporting devices just because they don't sell them anymore.

6. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Of course they would support the 5. The two phones they just released are almost the same thing. Only difference is a casing, a camera, a fingerprint sensor that saves you 3 seconds, and some 64 bit processor that can't be used to its fullest until apple starts using more ram

7. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

Yup.

8. wellingtonwimpy macrumors member

The "old" iPhone 5 has the same internals as the 5c, which is brand new and should be good for at least 2.5 years of software updates. It would be extremely petty if Apple were to continue supporting the 5C while not offering the same for the 5, since they're equally capable of running any future updates.

FYI, I did the same thing you did and upgraded from a 4 to a 5 after my carrier slashed the price to $100. I'm really happy I did, especially since the speed enhancements on the 5s seem to be invisible for the time being.

9. nabwong macrumors regular

I'm using 5 and don't feels its sluggish at all.

10. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Cool thanks everyone, I'm in the uk so will wait till new year and may make it like a Christmas present!

You think it will still be available then?

There may be little difference between the 5 and 5c by then! I personally prefer the 5 as it looks. If the 5c came in black it would be more tempting lol!

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Apple and all other major retailers won't be selling the 5, but you'll be able to get it second hand. Otherwise, get the 5c.

12. wellingtonwimpy macrumors member

I'd get a jump on it. Retailers are basically just unloading their existing stock, and most are probably out already. Call around to a few places to see. Your best bet might be to find an unopened one on eBay, but then you'd be buying it unlocked, which will cost more.

I've got to think that Apple will release a black plastic iPhone next time if they stick with the two-tiered approach. Those colors are just pitifully ugly.

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Probably not. You will have to get a 5C by that time. You can have Xmas in sept though.

14. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Have to admit been over on another thread and seen the pics, 5c could be on the cards!