Iphone 5 and Leopard

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Guacamole, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Guacamole macrumors regular

I read the specifications and it says it requires OS X v10.6.8 or later

that means I wouldn't be able to update or do anything? my laptop is still running Leopard 10.5.8:confused:

I don't have an Iphone 5 yet but also I was looking at the ipod nanos and it has the same system requirements

2. Iphone 2.2 macrumors member

No, it will not work.

iTunes won't even see the phone if you plug it in.

3. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Since IOS5 you no longer need to sync your iPhone with iTunes to update it or put music on, you can do it all through iCloud. You dont need to initially set your phone up by plugging it into your Mac either, its all done on the phone.

However, in your case you wouldn't be able to sync music from iTunes or use iTunes Match as you're not running 10.6.8 (aka Snow Leopard)

Leopard support is becoming patchy nowadays and Snow Leopard is quite cheap. Unless you're running Leopard for a reason in particular i'd recommend you upgrade to Snow Leopard tbh. Mac software support isn't usually as long Windows software support and it's possible to be left behind if you don't keep reasonably up to date with OS's. if not you may start to find you lose other software support too.

4. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

Use over the air update, no need to connecting to your laptop. The thing I hate the most is "wire". I hope everything is wireless: network, OS update, charging my battery.

5. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Charging your battery does require a cable. Even if it's inductive charging you will need another wired 'charging plate' and you can't move around your phone when you're charging it. It's kind of pointless.

OS update should really be done on the phone itself. Upgrading through iTunes is very difficult to a normal user and often involve data loss if the user didn't know how to properly back up and sync apps to iTunes.